Muskegon Community College welcomes transfer students. We may award transfer credit for coursework from accredited institutions of higher education and the United States Military Service. Transfer credits may also be awarded for some Advanced Placement (AP), Articulated Credits, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES).
- Apply Online for admission to Muskegon Community College.
- Official Transcripts and official Score Reports must be sent directly from each college or national testing service to:
Muskegon, MI 49442
- Regionally Accredited College or University – Transfer credit must be from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Grades – Only courses in which a student received a “C” or better will be considered for transfer credit.
- Credits only, not grades are accepted in transfer. Grades are not entered on the official MCC transcript or calculated in the cumulative grade point average.
- Residency Requirement – A student may transfer any number of credits to MCC; however, a student must complete at least 30 credit hours, or the last 15 credit hours of a degree, at MCC in order to receive the Muskegon Community College degree.
- Course Descriptions/Syllabi – If a determination cannot be made on the credit a student should receive, the student may have to obtain a copy of course descriptions and/or course syllabi with objectives. The Records Office will contact the appropriate academic department for determination.
- The total number of transfer credits accepted from another institution will appear on the student’s MCC transcript, but not the specific credit accepted.
- Students who transfer a course which has a higher number of credit hours than the Muskegon Community College equivalent course will be awarded the “excess” credit.
- Evaluation Time – Transcripts will be evaluated within approximately four to six weeks. Transcripts older than five years, or from out-of-state institutions, may take longer to evaluate due to the extra time needed to obtain course descriptions and course syllabi.
Time Limits on Transfer Credits
- Accounting Courses – Must have been earned within 10 years prior to the evaluation.
- Information Technology/Computer Science Courses – Must have been earned within five years prior to the time of the evaluation.
- Liberal Arts – Liberal Arts courses generally don’t have a time limit on the courses used toward an Associate in Science and Arts Degree at Muskegon Community College.
- Nursing Courses — All nursing courses, as well as non-nursing courses required for nursing degrees, must be earned within eight years prior to the time of evaluation. If test/coursework is over eight years old, competency must be validated on established examinations or by repeating the course.
- Office System Education Courses – Must have been earned within 10 years prior to the time of the evaluation.
- Technology and Technology-Related Courses – Technology courses such as automotive, electronics, graphic design, machining, materials technology and welding must have been earned within 10 years prior to the time of the evaluation.
- Medical Assistant – All non-medical assistant courses required for the medical assistant degree, must be taken within eight years prior to the time of the evaluation. If testing/coursework is over eight years old, competency must be validated on established examinations or by repeating the course. As noted on the admission checklist, Computer Science courses must have been taken within the five years prior to the time of evaluation. Medical Assistant (MA) courses cannot be transferred to MCC from another institution.