Transfer to a Four-Year University

Students intending to transfer and complete a bachelor’s degree need to make early decisions concerning an academic major and a transfer destination. See a Muskegon Community College counselor for assistance. Appointments may be made by calling (231) 777-0362.

Resources for students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university:

Associate in Science and Arts Degree

  • Guide (for students who started at MCC before fall 2014)
  • Guide (for students who started at MCC beginning in fall 2014 and after)

The Associate in Science and Arts degree is designed for transfer to a four-year institution. Students generally transfer with junior year standing. This degree includes a selection of general education classes as well as elective credits that may be used to fulfill specific major requirements at a four-year school. This degree fulfills the requirements of the Michigan Transfer Agreement or the MACRAO Agreement, depending on what year a student began their studies at Muskegon Community College. The requirements for the ASA changed for students beginning Fall 2014 and former students who have been away from MCC for three or more years.

Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA)

MTA Guide
Effective for the Fall 2014 semester, the Michigan Transfer Agreement will replace the MACRAO Transfer Agreement for students whose first-time enrollment is in the 2014-2015 academic year and former students who have been away from MCC for three or more years. This agreement provides for transferability of 30 semester credits to meet many (and in some cases all) of the general education requirements at participating Michigan colleges and universities.

MACRAO Transfer Agreement
The MACRAO Agreement is designed to facilitate transfer from community colleges to 4-year schools for students who began at a community college prior to Fall 2014. It provides for transferability of up to 30 semester credits to meet many (and in some cases all) of the General Education Requirements at participating Michigan bachelor’s degree granting institutions. The MACRAO Agreement is being replaced by the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA). Students who started prior to Fall 2014 will be able to complete the existing MACRAO Agreement until the end of the Summer 2019 semester.

Irrespective of time, if a student already has a “MACRAO Satisfied” Endorsement previously placed on their transcript, it is expected that the receiving institution will still honor it in the best interest of this individual.

Michigan Transfer Network
This interactive website allows students, advisers, and the general public to view transfer course equivalencies between many Michigan colleges and universities. If you would like to go back to school, transfer to another institution in Michigan, or simply see how courses at your current institution would transfer to another school, this site is for you!

Transfer Guides
Transfer Guides are “maps” for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution. Four-year colleges typically have Transfer Guides for specific majors; and they may have Transfer Guides for students who are undecided. MCC Counselors are available to help all students develop an Academic Plan (MAP) to best prepare for associate degree completion and for transfer. Counselors can help students decide which school to transfer to, as well as interpret the Transfer Guides. Not all Transfer Guides meet MCC’s graduation requirements so students need to cross-reference the chosen Transfer Guide with the specific degree requirements at MCC.

College and University Visits

During fall and winter semester, four-year college and university representatives schedule recruitment visits to Muskegon Community College. Students and staff have the opportunity to gain information as well as resolve transfer questions and concerns. MCC also hold an annual Transfer Fair each fall.