Muskegon Community College welcomes transfer students. We may award transfer credit for coursework from accredited institutions of higher education and the United States Military Service. Transfer credits may also be awarded for some Advanced Placement (AP), Articulated Credits, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES).
- Apply Online for Admission to Muskegon Community College.
- We will only accept Official College transcripts and score reports by mail.
- Official Score Reports must be sent directly from the national testing service; official transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution and must have appropriate seal and signature. Both should be sent to:
Transfer Evaluation, Room 100-JMuskegon Community College221 S. Quarterline RoadMuskegon, MI 49442
- Regionally Accredited college or university – Transfer credit must be from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Grades – Only courses in which a student received a “C” or better will be considered for transfer credit.
- Credits only, not grades are accepted in transfer. Grades are not entered on the official MCC transcript or calculated in the cumulative grade point average.
- Residency Requirement – A student may transfer any number of credits to MCC, however, a student must complete at least 30 credit hours, or the last 15 credit hours of a degree, at MCC in order to receive the Muskegon Community College Degree.
- Course Descriptions/Syllabi- If a determination cannot be made on the credit a student should receive, the student may have to obtain a copy of course descriptions and/or course syllabi with objectives. The Records Office will contact the appropriate academic department for determination.
- The total amount of transfer credit accepted from another institution will appear on the student’s MCC transcript, but not the specific credit accepted.
- Students who transfer a course which has a higher number of credit hours than the Muskegon Community College equivalent course will be awarded the “excess” credit.
- Evaluation Time -Transcripts will be evaluated within approximately two to three weeks for in-state and three to five weeks for out of state, except during the beginning and end of the semester when evaluation times may run longer.
- International Transcripts – International credits must be evaluated through wes.org or ece.org to be accepted for evaluation.
Time Limits on Transfer Credits
Liberal Arts – Liberal Arts courses generally don’t have a time limit on the courses used toward an Associate in Science and Arts Degree at Muskegon Community College.
Nursing Courses — All Nursing courses, as well as non-nursing courses required for nursing degrees, must be earned withineight years prior to the time of evaluation. If test/coursework is over eight years old, competency must be validated on established examinations or by repeating the course.