The award winners in the 53rd Annual MCC Student Art and Design Exhibition, featuring artwork of outstanding merit produced by leading student artists over the past academic year, were announced during a May 30 reception in Overbrook Art Gallery, where the exhibit continued through Sept. 8, 2017
The artwork, which was selected by MCC’s art faculty from more than several thousand student pieces produced during the 2016-17 academic year, was judged by Peter E. Williams, art instructor at Kellogg Community College.
The winners were:
- $400 First Place: Corena Golliver of Norton Shores for her oil pastel drawing
- $300 Second Place: Tirzah Schmuker of Spring Lake for her mixed media drawing
- $200 Third Place: Martha Ruschkamp of Muskegon for her series of ceramic sculptures
- $100 Honorable Mentions: Sara Black of Muskegon for her ceramic sculpture, Kaytee Walker of Nunica for her relief print, Claire Beaman of Whitehall for her painting, Michael Miesch of Muskegon for his figure drawing, and Jennifer Hall for her still-life drawing.
- President’s Purchase Award: Veronika Lamphere of Muskegon won the for her charcoal self-portrait drawing. The purchase prize was selected for display on campus as part of MCC’s Permanent Art Collection.