As stated in our mission statement, these services and resources are available to Muskegon Community College students and personnel and all residents from the West Michigan area. The library staff is eager to assist you.
- PUBLIC SERVICES DESK (231-777-0270)
Cards to borrow library materials are available at this desk to anyone with a valid Michigan driver’s license or Michigan I.D. A parent or legal guardian must sign the library card application for minors under the age of 18. You must present your card to check out materials. If a book you want is already checked out, you may place a Hold on it at this desk. When the checked out item is returned, we will hold it for you and notify you to come in and pick it up.Most materials may be renewed at the Public Services Desk. You may renew these materials over the telephone by calling 777-0270.Ask the staff at this desk for periodicals, newspapers, microforms, and audiovisual materials.
Reserve materials (items held here by request of instructors for their classes) are also located at this desk. These materials have varying check-out periods and may be limited to library use only.
- Books – 10 cents per day $3.00 max.
- High Demand Books – $1.00 per day $15.00 max.
- Non-book materials – 10 cents per day $3.00 max.
- Interlibrary loan materials – $1.00 per day $15.00 max.
- Reserve materials (circulating) – $1.00 per day $15.00 max.
- Reserve materials (room use only) – $10.00 per day $50.00 max.
- Textbook Collection – $10.00 per day.
- REFERENCE AREA (231-777-0326)
The reference librarians are eager to assist you in learning how to locate and use materials in the library. They can help in the selection of materials and the development of search strategies. This area contains reference materials in print form and also on electronic databases on the research access computers. A MAC computer is also available. Ask a reference librarian for assistance in using these sources. A color laser printer and a black laser printer are available in this area.Televisions for viewing videocassettes and DVDs are located in this area.The MSDNAA disks are also available at this desk.
- Library Catalog
All books, videotapes, DVDs, CDs and instructor’s reserve materials are listed in the online catalog. Entries have the shelf location to the right of the call number indicating where the material may be found. If you need assistance in finding material, ask at the reference or public services desks.
- Classification System
Books are shelved in the Library using the Library of Congress classification system.
Library of Congress Classification System Call Number Subject Area A General Works B Philosophy, Psychology, Religion C Auxiliary Sciences of History D History: General and Old World E-F History: Americas G Geography, Anthropology, Recreation H Social Sciences J Political Science K Law L Education M Music N Fine Arts P Language and Literature Q Science R Medicine S Agriculture T Technology U Military Science V Naval Science Z Bibliography: Library Science
These subject divisions can be used for general browsing. For more specific searching, check the online catalog first or see a reference librarian.
- Classification System
- INTERLIBRARY LOAN (231-777-0205)
Books, journals, magazines, CDs and DVDs not available at the MCC Library may be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Forms are available near the WebCat computers. For help filling out the form, ask a reference librarian.
- ARCHIVE (231-777-0493)
The Archive is a collection of historical material about Muskegon Community College. For access to this material, ask a reference librarian.
- GROUP STUDY ROOMS These six rooms are reserved for groups of two or more involved in collaborative study or viewing academic or reserve videocassettes. The smaller rooms have seating for up to four persons; the larger rooms have computers and are designed for five to six persons. All rooms have televisions for viewing DVDs or videocassettes. Sign up at the circulation desk to use one of the rooms. Users must follow the acceptable use guidelines.
- INFORMATION COMMONS (231-777-0119)
- The Information Commons, located on the second level of the library, contains PCs, MACS, scanners, and additional study tables. A color laser printer and a black laser printer are available in this area.
- This area is staffed by personnel with technology expertise. If research assistance is needed in this area, a librarian from the upper level will be called.
- SPECIAL FACILITIES
- Online catalogs that are wheelchair accessible are available.
- A photocopy machine is located on the main level of the library.
- A Microfilm/microfiche reader/printer is located on the upper level near the reference desk.
- Book drops are located in the hall outside the Library front door, at the Circulation/Public Services Desk, and in a drive-up outside the library in the circle drive.
For more information regarding library services, please contact:
- Library Information – (231) 777-0269
- Reference Services – (231) 777-0326
- Circulation/Public Services – (231) 777-0270
- Interlibrary Loan – (231) 777-0205
- Information Commons Supervisor – (231) 777-0645
- Library Coordinator – (231) 777-0416