Supervisor for Student Employee
Muskegon Community College employs students in part-time, on-campus through federal and state government programs. These programs are designed to provide students with work expereince and financial assistance as a part of their overall education. Eligibililty for employment under this program is determined by the Financial Aid office upon receipt of all required application materials.
Students will no longer be referred from the Student Placement office. They are encouraged to locate their own position on campus, so it is important to let the Student Placement office know if you need students and when the position is filled. Supervisors are also encouraged to come to the Student Placement office to look through the notebook of applications for student employees.
When you look through the notebook of applications, these students have been authorized to work as a work study (student employee). If a student comes by on their own, you can call the Student Placement office to find out if the student qualifies for work study.
Student Employee Eligibility
- ALL students MUST apply for Federal Financial Aid by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at www.fafsa.ed.gov before semester begins.
- Students who have attended MCC must possess and maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average to be eligible. If a current student worker fails to maintain the minimum 2.0 grade point average, he/she will be given one semester to bring up the overall GPA to 2.0 before employment is terminated.
- Student MUST maintain at least six credit hours per semester to qualify as a student employee.
- Students who plan to work during summer semester should complete a new financial aid form (for the next year) in February.
Keep in mind that these are the basic requirements for student eligibility. Many students may fit these definitions, but due to funding limitations, may not be awarded CWS. In order to receive full consideration for financial assistance, completed applications must be on file at the College by the following dates:
|FALL SEMESTER --------------- May 1|
|WINTER SEMESTER ---------- October 1|
|SUMMER SEMESTER --------- March 1|
Applications received after these dates will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis, if funds are available.
The Federal College Work-Study (Student Employee) Program
- Employment under the work-student (student employee) program must not result in the displacement of employed workers or impair existing contracts for service. Employers are cautioned against the use of students in jobs that traditionally and customarily have been filled by full-time personnel from outside the institution. It is the intent of the program to create new job opportunities.
- In the event that more students are eligible for Student Placement than funds available, the Student Placement/Financial Aid Office must give preference to those students who demonstrate the greatest financial need and have the earliest financial aid applications on file.
- Positions under the student employee program must be free of political involvement.
Any student employed under the student employee program must be paid for all hours worked in the student employee position. The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, as mended, prohibits a covered employer (including education institutions) from accepting voluntary services from paid positions.
A student may not earn more than their demonstrated financial need OR work more than their eligible hours. The College is liable for any dollar paid to a student over need.
If you have any questions regarding these or other regulations, please contact the Student Placement/Financial Aid Office at 231.777.0236.