Student Services

Final Grade Appeals



The Student Services Council, is composed of students, staff, and faculty members. One of it's duties is to review Final Grade Appeals. In considering all other types of petitions, the Committee reviews requests and refers students to the appropriate campus office for action. Such referrals may be accompanied by the recommendations of the Committee.

Students may present questions regarding any regulation or policy of the College. The Final Grade Appeal Form is available above or in the Student Services Center.  The Student Services Council meets on the third (3rd) Tuesday each month.  All appeals must be submitted at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting.  All appeals decisions by the Council are final.

Students must follow the following steps in order to submit a Final Grade Appeal:

STEP ONE-INSTRUCTOR DECISION: Consult with the instructor to see if an understanding can be reached. If the instructor denies your request, ask the instructor to provide a written response by completing step one on the back (or page 2) of this form. The instructor should give you a copy of the syllabus from the course listed along with an explanation of how the grade was determined.

STEP TWO – DEPARTMENT CHAIR DECISION: If step one is denied by the instructor, consult with the Department Chair in which the course was offered. Following a review of your appeal and the instructor’s response, the Department Chair must provide his or her written opinion of the appeal along with any additional pertinent information.

STEP THREE – VICE PRESIDENT/ASSOCIATE VP OF ACADEMIC AFFAIRS DECISION: If step one and two are denied, consult with the VP for Academic Affairs or the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs. Following a review of your appeal, the instructor and Department Chair’s responses, the Vice President/Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs must provide his or her written opinion of the appeal along with any additional pertinent information.

STEP FOUR – STUDENT SERVICES COUNCIL DECISION: If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the previous decisions, you must submit this written appeal with signatures and attachments to the Student Assistance Counter.

YOU MUST INCLUDE a typed attachment providing all relevant details and documentation that support your appeal including the remedy you are requesting.

Completed forms and required documentation should be sent to:

Student Services Petitions Committee
Muskegon Community College
221 S. Quarterline Road
Muskegon, MI 49442