College Goal Sunday on Feb.12 at MCC
College Goal Sunday, an open house to assist College-bound students and their parents, will be held on Sunday, Feb. 12, from 2-4 p.m., at Muskegon Community College.
The event is open to anyone interested in attending a post-secondary institution and who needs help paying for college, whether it is a technical school, community college, or a university. If possible students should bring their parents with them.
College financial aid experts will be on hand to provide free assistant in filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), a form required of any student seeking federal financial aid, including federal student grants, Work-Study funds and loans. The application is used to apply for state grants and some private financial aid.
Students and their parents must bring specific documents with them to College Goal Sunday to complete their FAFSA application. These include:
- FAFSA PIN Number to complete FAFSA online. Students and one of their parents will each need a FAFSA PIN number. To obtain a PIN, log on to www.pin.ed.gov.
- Correct Social Security numbers (can be found on Social Security card)
- Driver’s license (if any)
- 2011 federal tax returns or 2010 federal tax returns, if 2011 returns are not complete.
- 2011 untaxed income records – Social Security, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, welfare or veterans benefits records
- 2011 bank statements
- 2011 business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, and stock, bond, and other investment records
- Alien registration card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
College Goal Sunday began in Michigan in 2004 in cooperation with the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) and the Lumina Foundation for Education. Since its inception, more than 4,500 students in Michigan have received help in completing their FAFSA financial aid form on time for free. More than 25 Michigan institutions donate space and more than 500 individuals volunteer their time.