Checklist for First Time VA Students
1. Apply to MCC as a degree-seeking student (it's free!): www.muskegoncc.edu/apply
2. Apply for VA Education Benefits (GI Bill) through the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP)
3. Request Military Credit Transcripts and previous official college transcripts to be mailed to:
*Need help finding your military transcripts? Start here: Veterans Related Links
4. Complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
5. Bring a copy of your DD-214 or NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility) to the Veterans Office in room 103
6. Read, initial, and sign the Veterans Responsibility Form. Paper forms are available in the Veterans Office (Room 103), please contact the Veterans Office with any questions on the items in this form
7. Each semester you want to use your VA benefits at MCC, you must complete a Certification Request Form. This is one of your last steps, and should be done after you register for classes. See the 'Certification' link at left for this online form.
Children of Veterans Tuition Grant
The Children of Veterans Tuition Grant Act is designed to provide undergraduate tuition assistance to certain children older than 16 and less than 26 years of age who have been Michigan residents for the 12 months prior to application. To be eligible a student must be the natural or adopted child of a Michigan veteran. The veteran must have been a legal resident of Michigan immediately before entering military service and did not later reside outside of Michigan for more than two years; or the veteran must have established legal residency in Michigan after entering military service.
The Michigan Higher Education Assistance Authority administers the program. Please contact: