Purpose of the Natural Area
- To conserve a portion of the College campus that is representative of the natural communities and beauty of west Michigan.
- To provide a nature trail for the enjoyment of students, faculty and the community where individuals can develop an appreciation of the harmony that can exist between humans and the land.
- To provide an area where children can learn to develop a sense of appreciation and respect for the living world.
- To develop in those who use the area an understanding of interrelationships that exist in natural communities.
- To provide an outdoor laboratory where students can acquire knowledge of ecological principles and develop scientific curiosity.
- To provide an outdoor laboratory for the enrichment of courses within the College, such as art, biology, geology and geography.
- To provide an area for the enjoyment of hiking, bird watching and photography.