Checklist for First Time VA Students

1. Apply to MCC as a degree-seeking student (it’s free!):

  • The Enrollment Services office will contact you by mail with further information
  • New VA Students need to complete all admissions steps for a successful start at MCC, these steps can be done at the same time as the VA benefit steps below

2. Apply for VA Education Benefits (GI Bill) through your eBenefits Account or the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP)

3. Request Military Credit Transcripts and previous official college transcripts to be mailed to:

Records Auditor, Room 100-H

Muskegon Community College

221 S. Quarterline Road

Muskegon, MI 49442

Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard:

Air Force:

4. Complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

5. Bring a copy of your DD-214 or NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility – for reservists)

When these steps are completed, make an appointment to turn in your paperwork to the Veterans Office. You will then complete your final steps to begin payment on your GI Bill. Call 231-777-0216 for an appointment.


Children of Veterans Tuition Grant

The Children of Veterans Tuition Grant Act is designed to provide undergraduate tuition assistance to certain children older than 16 and less than 26 years of age who have been Michigan residents for the 12 months prior to application. To be eligible a student must be the natural or adopted child of a Michigan veteran. The veteran must have been a legal resident of Michigan immediately before entering military service and did not later reside outside of Michigan for more than two years; or the veteran must have established legal residency in Michigan after entering military service.

The Michigan Higher Education Assistance Authority administers the program. Please contact:

Michigan Department of Treasury

Office of Scholarships and Grants

Michigan Higher Education Assistance Authority

PO Box 30462

Lansing, MI 48909-7962


or click here for the Application to Determine Eligibility for Educational Benefits