Sustainability efforts at MCC come in the context of the wider Sustainability movement. Below are some links to resources and other sustainability initiatives that are of interest. These sites offer a wide variety of sustainability resources.
Muskegon County Office of Sustainability
Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
Creative Change Educational Solutions
Center for Ecoliteracy
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Junk Mail. It is estimated that each person receives approximately 34 pounds of junk mail per year. For more information on how to stop junk mail go to: http://www.ecocycle.org/junkmail
Medical waste. Please do not flush down toilets or put in the trash. The Muskegon Area Medication Disposal Program (MAMDP) has established partnerships with six local law enforcement agency locations to offer safe, convenient collection and environmentally responsible disposal of controlled medications.
- Montague Police Department / 8778 Ferry St, Montague / 231.893.0810
- Muskegon County Sheriff’s Office Records / 25 W Walton Ave, Muskegon / 231.724.6351
- Muskegon County Sheriff Road Patrol Offices / 1611 E Oak Av, Muskegon / 231.724.6259
- Muskegon Police Department / 980 Jefferson St, Muskegon / 231.724.6750
- Norton Shores Police Department / 4814 Henry St, Norton Shores / 231.733.2691
- Roosevelt Park Police Department / 900 Oak Ridge Rd, Muskegon / 231.755.3721
Please check www.mamdp.com for updated program information as it becomes available.
Please also note that non-controlled medications can be taken to a network of local independent pharmacies during normal business hours including:
- Benson’s Drug SavMor #17* / 961 Spring Street, Muskegon / 231-722-2861
- Watkins Pharmacy / 1391 E. Sherman Boulevard, Muskegon / 231-739-7158
- Glenside Pharmacy / 1663 W. Sherman Boulevard, Muskegon / 231-755-2443
- Hackley Professional Pharmacy / 1675 Leahy Street, Suite 111, Muskegon / 231-728-5888
- Lakes Campus Pharmacy / 6401 Prairie Street, Suite 1100, Muskegon / 231-727-7968
- Westshore Professional Pharmacy / 1150 E. Sherman Boulevard, Suite 1400, Muskegon / 231-672-2204
- Wolf Lake Pharmacy / 5483 E. Apple Avenue, Muskegon / 231-788-4087
*Sharps will also now be accepted in a proper sharps container at the Benson’s Drug Savmor #17 and the Hackley Professional Pharmacies ONLY.
Styrofoam. Take clean, white styrofoam packaging material such as blocks and peanuts to NuPac Solutions, Inc. at 2850 Lincoln, Norton Shores (M-F 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.). Place styrofoam inside southwest corner door off parking lot. Friday side door is open 7:00 am -12:00 pm. Go to office on Friday afternoon. They will open the side door. This facility is unable to take food containers, foam, or spongy packing material.
The Science Center was built using the USGBC LEED Building Design and Construction Version 3 Rating System to document the sustainable strategies used during the design and construction of the new science center. LEED features employed in the Science Center construction included: landscaping with proper storm water drainage; the use of light colored, heat-reducing colors on sidewalks and roofs; air quality control,; use of low volatile organic compounds; water efficient plumbing; individualized lighting controls, use of recycled construction materials; recycling of construction waste; and implementation of recycling containers.
In April 2016, the MCC Science Center earned the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold Certification for its sustainable strategies used in its design and construction. The Science Center is only one of four buildings in Muskegon to have received this high honor.