- Hometown: Grand Rapids, MI
- High School: West Catholic High School
- Professional Experience: Jon has been an adjunct faculty member at Muskegon Community College since 1989. He also served as the athletic trainer and assistant athletic director until 2010.
Jon is employed as the manager of Sports Medicine at Mercy Health. He is a Licensed Athletic Trainer in the State of Michigan and holds many certifications from the American Red Cross as well as the American Heart Association, and has been an instructor with them since 1989. Jon and the Mercy Health Sports Medicine staff has worked closely with the Safe Kids West Michigan program to provide educational programs to area youth sports coaches and parents. He has been very active with the Muskegon County Resuscitation Committee's initiative to improve the survival rate of cardiac arrest outside of the hospital in Muskegon County.
Prior to joining Mercy Health, Jon was the Head Athletic Trainer at Marian College in Wisconsin from 1988 to 1989. Jon served as the Athletic Trainer at Muskegon Community College from 1989 to 2010. His MCC Jayhawk teams won numerous conference and regional champions, and his 1990 Men's Basketball team finished as National Runner-Up, while his 2010 Fastpitch Softball team won the NJCAA National Championship. Jon continues as an adjunct faculty member at MCC, which he has done since 1989. He has also served as an adjunct faculty member at Grand Valley State University from 1991 to 1993 and 2009 to the present. Jon also served as the athletic trainer for Muskegon Heights High School from 1991 to 1994 and North Muskegon High School from 1994 to 1997. His 1993 Muskegon Heights football team advanced to the State Semi-Finals and his 1994 Heights basketball team reached the State Finals. He has assisted with athletic training at Muskegon High School 1998 to 2009, and was a member of the medical staff for the 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2017 State Championship Football teams. Jon has also provided athletic training services to Holton High School (2009-2011) and Shelby High School from 2011 to 2013. His 2012 and 2013 Shelby football teams advanced to the State Semi-Finals. Jon provided athletic training services for Fruitport High School for the 2013-2014 school year before returning to Muskegon Community College in the fall of 2014 to provide care once again for the Jayhawk athletes until 2016.
Jon and his wife Kathy have two children, Patrick and Megan, and four Rat Terriers. His hobbies include golf, walking his dogs, computers, and spending time with family and friends. Jon has played an important role in developing Mercy Health's Sports Medicine Program and is a valuable member of the Mercy Health Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine.
- Academic Degrees: BS Grand Valley State University
- Classes Taught: HE 100A - Community First Aid and CPR, HE 102 Nutrition for Fitness and Sport, HE 110 Workplace Safety, HE 202 Sports Injuries and Prevention
More About Me
- Received MCC HPER Teaching Excellence Award in 2014
- Sports teams I have worked with as an Athletic Trainer have been in over 70 Championship games including 13 State or National Championship games
- Both of my children have earned the Associates degrees from MCC before moving onto their respective universities.
- My wife and I are both Athletic Trainers and both proud GVSU Laker alumni!
- I thoroghly enjoy sharing my knowledge with students in my classes
- I am a huge history and trivia nut!