What is the CARES Act Emergency Relief Fund?
Muskegon Community College received $1.12 million from the federal government through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund.  This funding provides emergency grants to students whose lives have been disrupted by COVID-19. These funds represent the initial 50% of the total allocation MCC will receive ($2,247,350) through Sec. 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.

When and how do I apply for the funds?
All funds for Winter 2020 and Summer 2020 have been awarded. For students enrolled in the Fall 2020 semester, we will be awarding grants to all students who are Title IV eligible. Eligible students will be notified via their MCC email account by Aug. 31, 2020.

Who is eligible for these funds?
Students must meet Title IV eligibility requirements in order to receive Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) emergency funds. The criteria include but are not limited to the following:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • Have a valid Social Security Number;
  • Registered with Selective Service (if the student is male);
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or completion of high school in an approved homeschool setting;
  • Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP);
  • Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan; and
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate

Completion of the FAFSA by the student is the best way for the student to assist the college in determining eligibility.

Students who were enrolled exclusively in online programs on March 13 (the date of President Trump’s national emergency proclamation) are not eligible for HEERF funds.

How can I use the funds?
The HEERF funds are to be directly granted to students as emergency grants for their expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19. These expenses include items such as food, housing, course material, technology, healthcare, and childcare expenses.  The emergency grants to students cannot be applied toward outstanding balances, cannot be used for tuition, and must be disbursed directly to students.

How will I receive the funds?
Funds will be distributed directly to students via check, their designated bank account, or to their BankMobile Vibe (also known as MyMCCOne) Card.  The payment method will be the refund preference the students selected when they received their MCC OneCard.  Visit here for more information about refunds at MCC: