MCC Accepting Submissions for Its 10-Minute Play Festival Competition in 2022
Muskegon Community College is accepting submissions between now and Feb. 2, 2022, for its 10-Minute Play Festival competition being held on March 26, 2022, on the College’s Overbrook Theater stage.
Six winning plays will be selected for live staged reading performances and will be published by the MCC’s Sigma Kappa Delta English Honors Society in the College’s annual River Voices literary magazine.
“It’s important to remember that the competition will be based on staged readings of the scripts,” explained MCC English Instructor Sean Colcleasure. “The plays will be read and directed by MCC theater students and actors with scripts in hand and seated on the Overbrook Theater stage.”
One play, as voted by the audience in attendance at the festival, will be selected as the Audience Favorite and will receive a $100 cash prize.
“This is not a ‘winner’ or ‘best’ award, but the play the audience in attendance selects,” said Colcleasure. “We want to engage the audience and allowing them to select a ‘winner’ gives them a feeling of investment.”
To be eligible, the submissions must meet these guidelines
- Plays must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. on February 4, 2022.
- Plays must be from playwrights living in Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio and Indiana only.
- There is a submission fee of $10 for each play and a limit of two submissions per playwright. Submit your fee either through Pay Pal using the QR Code located at the bottom of the page or pay by check. Checks should be made payable to: MCC English Honors Society and mailed to the following address:
MCC 10-Minute Play Competition
221 Quarterline Road
Muskegon, MI 49442.
Please write the name(s) of your play(s) on your check.
- Comedic or dramatic plays of all types fitting this year’s theme “Brains and Beauty” will be accepted.
- Plays must have 2-4 characters – no more, no less – to be considered.
- Plays should be 10-15 typed pages following the generally accepted script format of double spaced with play title and page numbers on each page.
- Plays must be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com
- Plays must be sent as a Microsoft Word document or PDF. They MUST NOT include the name of the playwright anywhere on the script as the festival is being conducted using “blind” judging. If selected for publication, the author will be asked for a Word version of the play for re-formatting purposes.
- Playwright bios are accepted but not required during the application process. Winning playwrights will be asked to submit short bios within one week of finalist announcements.
- Plays are being judged by the English Honors Society, which includes three MCC professors, and critique forms are available to the playwrights after the competition by request only at time of submitting their play. Please make the request in your email submission.
For more information on the festival, please contact Sean Colcleasure at (231) 777-0245.