Classes Eligible for Financial Aid

What classes are eligible for federal and state financial aid?

Federal financial aid regulations mandate that only classes required for graduation in your current active Program of Study are eligible for federal funding. In addition, some State of Michigan aid programs follow these regulations. Thus, your financial aid enrollment status may be different from your actual enrollment status. Classes not required for graduation may not be eligible for federal and state funding. Financial aid such as Pell Grants, loans, work-study and Michigan Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) are subject to this rule. Students who have scholarship awards and some state aid programs are not affected by the federal financial aid regulations.

What academic programs are eligible for federal and state financial aid?

Federal and State regulations require that a student must be enrolled in an eligible Program of Study to receive financial aid. All associate degrees and most certificate programs of 16 or more credit hours in length are eligible. Newly developed certificate programs must first receive approval from the U.S. Department of Education. College Guest, Early College and non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid funding.

How do I know what classes are required for my Program of Study?

It is important that your current academic records are correct. If you are unsure of your current Program of Study, either login to your MyMCC account and click on WebAdvisor for StudentsPlanning & Registration or visit the Counseling and Advising Center. Additional information can be found in your MyMCC account under Student Planning & Registration / My Progress.

How do I change my Program of Study?

Many college students change their major at least once before graduation. If you are thinking of changing your program, you should meet with an Academic Counselor. You can make an appointment in your MyMCC account under the Counseling Appointment button. To make a change official, complete and submit a Program Change Form to the Counseling and Advising Center.

If you receive this error message when you attempt to register for classes:

– Registration not allowed in UG courses without an academic program – 

You will need to complete and submit a Program Change Form. This means your current program is no longer offered at the college or you have never had a valid academic program entered for you. If you have questions, contact the Counseling and Advising Center at 231-777-0362.

What if I need to take a required prerequisite class?

There are circumstances when you are required to take a class that is not listed in your Program of Study. An example might be that MATH-111 is required before you can enroll for MATH-112. Other examples could be a course substitution approved by an academic department or acceptance into an Honors Program. If a class is required but not listed in your Program of Study, you must see an Academic Counselor for to complete either a Substitution-Waiver Form or a Financial Aid Course Eligibility Form.

How long will financial aid pay for developmental or prerequisite classes?

Up to a maximum of 30 attempted credits of developmental (classes below the 100 level) and/or prerequisite coursework are eligible for financial aid, as long as you are otherwise eligible for financial aid.

How do I know if I have a financial aid issue with my schedule?

If we determine one or more of your courses are not eligible, we will send you an email to your MCC student email account. You will need to contact the Counseling and Advising Center for assistance.

What if I want to take classes that are not required?

You are welcome to take classes which are not required for your Program of Study. However, you may need to pay for these classes out-of-pocket or received aid from sources other than federal or state programs.