Payment Plan FAQs

Do you have questions about Payment Plans?
If you don’t see the answers to your questions below, please contact the Cashier at (231) 777-0249.

What if I sign up for a payment plan before I get my financial aid award?
When your financial aid is posted to your account it will then reduce the balance on your payment plan. Once you sign up for one of the payment plans you cannot switch plans. There is a $30 enrollment fee for signing up for a payment plan.

Can I cancel my payment plan?
You cannot cancel your payment plan for any reason. It must be paid in full.

What if I don’t have a checking account or a credit card but need to register for a payment plan?
Because a checking account or a credit card is required to set up a payment plan, you should work with one of the many local banks or credit unions in our region to get an account set up. You may also open a BankMobile Vibe Checking Account. For more information, visit this link:

What if I register online but don’t want to pay with a credit card or sign up for a payment plan?
If you register for classes online but would like to pay with cash, check or money order, you have until payment due date to make payment in person. If you register for a class after payment due date, your tuition is due by midnight of the day you register. If we do not receive your payment according to these deadlines, your class registration will be dropped.

I don’t want to wait to receive my estimated financial aid award package from MCC before registering for classes but need to sign up for a payment plan. What do I do?
If you register for classes before MCC has prepared an estimated financial aid package for you, you will need to sign up for a payment plan.  This means that the payment plan enrollment fee of $30 will be taken out and will not be refunded, even if you receive a financial aid award later.

I have registered for classes and signed up for a payment plan but now I need to add another class or drop a class. What do I do?
Simply complete the add/drop process as you would normally do online or in person. Your information will automatically be updated with Nelnet, the company that administers payment plans for Muskegon Community College. They will then adjust your payment amount based on the class changes you’ve made, and send you an email notifying you of a change to your payment plan.

I have a scholarship that will pay all of my tuition and fees for this semester. Do I still have to sign up for a payment plan?
Yes.  All MCC students who receive financial aid, including scholarships, must sign up for a payment plan. As long as your ISIR (Institutional Student Information Record) is on file by the time you register for classes, you can sign up for the “Pending Aid” payment plan. You will not be charged any fees if your scholarship and other aid cover your entire tuition and fee amount.

My employer will be paying for my tuition and fees. They haven’t turned in the Third Party Payment Authorization yet but I need to get registered for classes. What should I do?
You can pay by cash, check or credit card and work out a reimbursement with your employer.

I am an international student, can I sign up for a payment plan?
International students can either pay in full or sign up for a payment plan. If you encounter any problems, please contact International Enrollment at (231) 777-0404.

My financial aid award has been finalized and it does not cover the full tuition and fee bill.  Is there any way I can pay the balance in full so that I don’t get charged the $30 enrollment fee?
Yes.  If you have partial financial aid, you can sign up for the “Pending Aid” payment plan.  When in this program, if you pay MCC the difference between your MCC costs and your financial aid, you will not be charged the $30 enrollment fee. This would need to be paid at least three business days before your payment plan due date.

I signed up for a payment plan when I registered. But now, I’ve changed my mind and I want to pay the whole tuition and fee bill before my monthly payments begin. Will my $30 enrollment fee be refunded?
No. The $30 enrollment fee is non-refundable once you have registered for a payment plan.

I registered for classes and signed up for a payment plan. Now, I have decided that I won’t be attending school at all this semester and am dropping all of my classes. Will my $30 enrollment fee be refunded?
No. The $30 enrollment fee is non-refundable once you have registered for a payment plan.

I have set up a payment plan and have monthly payments coming out of my checking account. But I don’t have enough money in the account to cover this month’s payment. What will happen?
If your payment will not go through, Nelnet will charge you a $30 fee for payments returned to them. Nelnet will present the tuition payment request to your bank two more times for payment. Your bank may charge you additional fees for each time it returns your check for insufficient funds. Check with your bank regarding their specific fees and policies.

I signed up for a payment plan last semester. Do I have to sign up for it again if I want to use it this semester?
Yes. You must enroll in a new payment plan for each semester that you wish to use it.

I lost my credit card and had to cancel it with the credit card company. It was the one that I was having monthly payments charged to. My credit card company has issued a new card to me with a new number. What do I need to do?
Contact Nelnet at (800) 863-2287 and speak to a Customer Service Representative to update your account information.

I submitted my FAFSA a week ago. How can I check on its status and the status of my estimated financial aid award package from MCC?
You will need to check Self Service, and look at my documents to make sure the FAFSA has been received. You will need to look at your award letter to know the amount of monies received. If you have questions about the status of your award, then contact Financial Aid at 231-777-0228.

I registered for classes before receiving my estimated financial aid award package. Since then, the package has come through and all of my tuition and fees will be paid through financial aid. I’m still being charged the $30 enrollment fee. Why?
The $30 enrollment fee is non-refundable.  If you choose to register for classes and sign up for a payment plan before your financial aid has been packaged, you will have to pay the enrollment fee with no refund.

It is after the refund period date, but I need to withdraw from all my classes due to outside circumstances.  Payments have already been taken out of my bank account.  How do I stop the payments when I’m no longer enrolled in all my classes?
Because you are withdrawing from classes after the refund period for the semester, you are still responsible for paying the full tuition and fee amount for those classes. Full refunds are made on classes that are dropped before the semester drop date published in the class schedule.

I signed up for classes early and have already made a monthly payment.  Now, due to outside circumstances, I won’t be able to attend college this semester and have to drop all of my classes.  It is before the final refund period date.  How do I get the money back for the monthly payments I’ve already made?
Complete all of the proper procedures to drop your classes on Self Service or by filling out a Drop and Add form and submitting it to the Student Welcome Center. After your classes are dropped, your balance will automatically adjust and Nelnet will be notified. Any over payment will be refunded to you.

My payments are coming out of my account on the 5thof the month (or 20th depending on the semester).  Can I get this date changed to a different time of the month?
Yes. Nelnet deducts all payments on the 5thor 20th of each month (depending on the semester).  However, you may login to your account through Self Service and change the payment date to another date within the same month for which the payment is scheduled.  You are allowed two make 2 such changes for a payment plan agreement.  If you need further assistance with changing a payment due date, please contact the Cashier at (231) 777-0249.

How do I know if I’m a “third party pay”?  If my parents are paying, are they the third-party?
No, third parties can include employees, veterans’ payment, and other organizations such as Michigan Works.  Personal arrangements with family members or other personal contacts do not qualify as a “third party payment.”

Do I have to sign up for a payment plan if I am on a Consortium Agreement with another school?
Yes, if you have turned in an approved Consortium Agreement to the MCC Financial Aid Office, you will still have to sign up for the “Pending Aid” payment plan.  As long as your entire tuition and fees are paid by the payment due date, the enrollment fee and payments will not be taken from your account.

When and what time will the funds be withdrawn from my bank account?
Nelnet specifies the date each payment will occur, but it is your financial institution that determines the time of day the payment is debited. Nelnet recommends you check with your financial institution to determine how far in advance funds should be deposited into your account to ensure the automatic payment clears. If a payment date falls on a weekend or banking holiday, the payment will be attempted the following business day.

How will I be notified of my payment information?
Once your agreement is posted to Nelnet’s system, you will receive a confirmation notification of your payment amount by e-mail, letter or text. Payments will be processed until the total balance is paid in full.  The notification also serves as a reminder that a $30 nonrefundable enrollment fee will be processed from the account indicated on the agreement.

25. Can I pay by phone?
In accordance with the Terms & Conditions of your payment plan agreement with Nelnet, payments are processed electronically. Nelnet does not accept payments by phone.