facebook tracking pixel

College Timeline

1926: Muskegon Junior College was established

1934: College moved into the former Hackley School in downtown Muskegon

1951:  Muskegon Junior College renamed to Muskegon Community College

1963: MCC left Muskegon Board of Education

1st Board of Trustees was elected

Land was purchased for dedicated college building

Alden B. Dow and Associates was named architect

1965: Construction began on new (current) college building

1966: Vocational Technical Wing was completed and occupied

1967: Dedication ceremony on October 22, rest of the college was occupied

1968: Frauenthal Find Arts Center was completed and occupied

1995: Center for Higher Education/Stevenson Center was opened.  Housed programs and courses offered by Ferris State University, Grand Valley State University, and Western Michigan University

2006: Hendrik Meijer Library Information Technology Center was completed and occupied

2014: Purchased the Muskegon Chronicle Building for the Sturrus Technology Center

2017: Sturrus Technology Center opened and houses Applied Technology Programs and Experiential Learning Program

2015: Masonic Temple donated to MCC by Nick Sarnicola.

Science Center opened and is home to the Life Science Department

MCC Purchased Muskegon Family YMCA West Western Ave property

2016: MCC Lakeshore Fitness Center opened

2018: Rooks-Sarnicola Entrepreneur Institute opened and houses the Lakeshore Fab Lab

Health and Wellness Center opened on main campus

2019: MCC Art & Music Building re-opened after remodel

 MCC Ottawa Center opened

2020: MCC Lakeshore Fitness Center permanently closes