Muskegon Community College is taking steps to transform the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) landscape in Muskegon, Ottawa and Newaygo counties.
Earlier this year, the College created a DEI Task Force comprised of local, state and national leaders in the field. The group was charged with developing a strategy and processes that will establish MCC as the West Michigan educational hub for assisting organizations who seek help in developing a DEI strategy and training for their respective companies.
The DEI Task Force is currently surveying both for-profit and not-for-profit firms within the three-county area. The responses will provide the planners with a more accurate picture of the current DEI status and needs among the region’s companies. All data collected will be kept in confidence and aggregated survey results will be shared with participating organizations. The response deadline is Friday, May 21, 2021.
This summer, MCC will hire a Chief Diversity Officer to oversee a newly created Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. The person will serve on the President’s Cabinet.
“MCC will further cement its position as a leader in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion space,” said MCC President Dale K. Nesbary. “My thanks go to all of those helping to bring the creation of this office to fruition.”
Serving on the DEI Task Force are:
- Stephanie Briggs – Director of Admissions, Muskegon Community College
- Nicholas Budimir – Faculty, Social Sciences Department, Muskegon Community College
- Henry Edwards – Vice President, Organization Effectiveness & Diversity (Retired)
- Eli Fox – Institutional Research Analyst, Muskegon Community College
- Ed Garner – Regional Director, Michigan Small Business Development Center
- Kenneth James – Director of Inclusion, Grand Rapids Chamber
- Morris Jenkins – Associate Professor, Justice, Law, and Public Safety, Lewis University
- Lowell Kirksey – Muskegon NAACP
- Michelle Loyd-Paige – Executive Associate to the President for Diversity & Inclusion, Calvin University
- Dale Nesbary – President, Muskegon Community College
- Rozelia Patino – Assistant Manager, Social Security Administration, Grand Rapids
- Tonya Pell – 4-H Program Coordinator, MSU Extension Muskegon County
- Jamar Ragland – Mentor, Early College of Muskegon County
- Danielle Smith – Vice President of Human Resources, Shape Corp.
- Pamela Smith – Adjunct, Business Department, Muskegon Community College
- Dwana Thompson – EEO and Employee Relations Director, City of Muskegon
For more information, please contact Dr. Pamela Smith, the DEI Task Force coordinator, at (513) 304-6144.