March 1-5, 2019
Experience Vicksburg National Military Park; Nashville; the historic architecture of Columbus, Indiana; and the Abraham Lincoln Museum in Springfield, Illinois!
The Turning Point in the West
President Abraham Lincoln, in the midst of the American Civil War, is desperate for a victory. In July, 1863, the war is going badly for the Union. Losses are mounting and the Union cause is becoming increasingly unpopular. The President faces a critical situation- “How does he change the course of the conflict?”
In a bold move, President Lincoln secures the appointment of two Generals who were relegated by their military peers as being unfit for command and puts them into the campaign for the Mississippi River. Their objective is to cut the Confederacy into half. These two Generals are U.S. Grant and William T. Sherman. Their military legacies will be cemented at the Battle of Vicksburg.
Come join the Muskegon Community College Center for Experiential Learning as we explore this campaign and visit the battlefield in Vicksburg. With three special lectures ahead of the trip, we unfold the personalities, strategies and the battle before we see the Vicksburg National Battlefield. The trip will take place on March 1-5, 2019. Join MCC Professors George Maniates and Kurt Troutman as they present this pivotal battle in the Civil War.
SIGN UP TODAY!
$825 includes motor coach transportation, hotels (double occupancy), breakfast, all admissions at the various venues. We employ the best trained guides and docents! Call the MCC Center for Experiential Learning at (231) 777-0380 to book now.
Friday, March 1, 2019
- 6:30 a.m. – Leave Muskegon Community College
- 2:00 p.m. – Historic Architectural Tour of Columbus, IN
One of America’s best displays of architecture waits in Columbus, where the skyline mixes 20th-century masterpieces with 19-century structures. Names like I.M. Pei and Eero Saarinen left their mark here, earning Columbus recognition from the American Institute of Architects as America’s sixth-best city for architectural innovation.
- 7:00 p.m. – Arrive in Nashville, TN– Stay at the Inn at Opryland
Saturday, March 2, 2019
- 7:30 a.m. – Breakfast
- 8:30 a.m. – Board Buses to see various Historic sites in Nashville
- 2:00 p.m. – Lunch Stop TBA
- 8:00 p.m. – Check-In Vicksburg, MS
Sunday, March 3, 2019
- 9:30 a.m. – Leave Hotel
- 10:00 a.m. – Arrive at Vicksburg Battlefield
- Noon – Break for Lunch (Sack Lunches)
- 4:00 p.m. – Arrive Back at Hotel
- Sunday evening – Explore Vicksburg on your own
Monday, March 4, 2019
- 7:00 a.m. – Breakfast
- 8:30 a.m. – Court House Museum
- 10:00 a.m. – Leave Vicksburg
- 4:30 p.m. – Arrive Sikeston MO
- 7:30 p.m. – Arrive Collinsville IL Hotel
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
- 7:30 a.m. – Leave Hotel for Springfield IL
- 10:00 a.m. – Lincoln Presidential Museum
- 12:30 p.m. – Leave Springfield, IL
- 8:30 p.m. – Arrive Muskegon MI