Benefit Steps for Spouses, Dependents and Survivors of Veterans

  1. Apply for VA Education Benefits (Chapter 35 or Post 9/11 GI Bill®) 
  • Application for Chapter 35 for Spouses, Dependents & Survivors of deceased/disabled veterans:
    • First time application: Form 22-5490, “Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance”
    • To transfer your benefits to MCC from another college: Form 22-5495, “Dependents’ Request for Change of Program or Place of Training”
  • Online application to use a Post 9/11 GI Bill® that has been transferred to you:
    • Form 22-1990e: “Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits”
  • Note: The VA pays the GI Bill® by direct deposit. Have a bank routing number and bank account number on hand to complete the application.
  • The VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) once processed (up to 30 days)

2. Request previous official college transcripts. Most transcripts can be sent electronically.

  • If mailing paper transcripts is required, send to:
    Transcript Evaluation
    Muskegon Community College
    221 S. Quarterline Road, Muskegon, MI 49442
  1. Locate the veteran’s form DD-214 (Version: Member 4 or Service 2)
  1. Children of deceased or totally and permanently disabled veterans: Please ask about the Michigan Child of Veterans Tuition Grant
  1. Spouses of service members currently serving on active duty or in the reserves (ranks E-1 to E-5): please ask about My Career Advancement (MyCAA) or call 1-800-342-9647.
  1. Set an appointment to turn in your CoE and DD-214, and to complete final steps:
    Office of Student Success, Room 1055
    (231) 777-0342
View the MCC Application Checklist


Schedule your appointment with the MCC VA Representative here:


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at