- Apply for VA Education Benefits (Chapter 35 or Post 9/11 GI Bill®)
- Application for Chapter 35 for Spouses, Dependents & Survivors of deceased/disabled veterans: https://www.vets.gov/education
- First time application: Form 22-5490, “Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance”
- To transfer your benefits to MCC from another college: Form 22-5495, “Dependents’ Request for Change of Program or Place of Training”
- Online application to use a Post 9/11 GI Bill® that has been transferred to you: https://www.vets.gov/education
- Form 22-1990e: “Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits”
- Note: The VA pays the GI Bill® by direct deposit. Have a bank routing number and bank account number on hand to complete the application.
- The VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) once processed (up to 30 days)
2. Request previous official college transcripts. Most transcripts can be sent electronically.
- If mailing paper transcripts is required, send to:
Muskegon Community College
221 S. Quarterline Road, Muskegon, MI 49442
- Locate the veteran’s form DD-214 (Version: Member 4 or Service 2)
- Children of deceased or totally and permanently disabled veterans: Please ask about the Michigan Child of Veterans Tuition Grant http://www.michigan.gov/mistudentaid/
- Spouses of service members currently serving on active duty or in the reserves (ranks E-1 to E-5): please ask about My Career Advancement (MyCAA) https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa/ or call 1-800-342-9647.
- Set an appointment to turn in your CoE and DD-214, and to complete final steps:
Manager of Student Success & Veterans Affairs
Office of Student Success, Room 103
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill