Steps for Reserve and National Guard Education Benefits

  1. Apply for VA Education Benefits (Montgomery GI Bill® – Select Reserve
  • Apply online:
    • Claim you are making: Ch 1606, “Montgomery GI Bill – Select Reserve”
    • Note: the VA pays the GI Bill® by direct deposit. Have a bank routing number and bank account number on hand to complete the application.
  • Qualify for more than one program? Compare which could be best for you here:
  • The VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) once processed (up to 30 days)

2. Request Military Credit Transcripts and previous official college transcripts. Most transcripts can be sent electronically.

  1. Locate your DD-214 (Version: Member 4 or Service 2)
  1. National Guard: Apply for State Tuition Assistance
    1. You have up to $6,000 per academic year (Fall, Winter & Summer semesters)
    2. Each Fall semester, a new academic year and new $6,000 limit begin
    3. Application must be complete within 14 days of the semester start date
  1. Spouses of active duty or reserve service members (ranks E-1 to E-5): Please ask about My Career Advancement (MyCAA)  or call 1-800-342-9647.
  1. Set an appointment to turn in your CoE and DD-214, and to complete final steps:
Office of Student Success, Room 1055
(231) 777-0342

View the MCC Application Checklist


Schedule your appointment with the MCC VA Representative here:

Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at