- Apply for VA Education Benefits (Montgomery GI Bill® – Select Reserve)
- Apply online: https://www.va.gov/education/
- Claim you are making: Ch 1606, “Montgomery GI Bill – Select Reserve”
- Note: the VA pays the GI Bill® by direct deposit. Have a bank routing number and bank account number on hand to complete the application.
- Qualify for more than one program? Compare which could be best for you here: https://www.va.gov/gi-bill-comparison-tool/
- The VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) once processed (up to 30 days)
2. Request Military Credit Transcripts and previous official college transcripts. Most transcripts can be sent electronically.
- Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard transcripts: https://jst.doded.mil/
- Community College of the Air Force transcripts: https://www.airuniversity.af.edu/Barnes/CCAF/
- If mailing paper transcripts is required, send to:
Muskegon Community College
221 S. Quarterline Road, Muskegon, MI 49442
- Locate your DD-214 (Version: Member 4 or Service 2)
- National Guard: Apply for State Tuition Assistance https://mingstapapp.state.mi.us/
- You have up to $6,000 per academic year (Fall, Winter & Summer semesters)
- Each Fall semester, a new academic year and new $6,000 limit begin
- Application must be complete within 14 days of the semester start date
- Spouses of active duty or reserve service members (ranks E-1 to E-5): Please ask about My Career Advancement (MyCAA) https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa/ or call 1-800-342-9647.
- Set an appointment to turn in your CoE and DD-214, and to complete final steps:
Office of Student Success, Room 1055
Schedule your appointment with the MCC VA Representative here: https://care-team.appointlet.com/s/veteran-benefits-support
Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill