River Voices, Muskegon Community College’s literary magazine, showcases the work of current students, faculty, and alumni. For more information on submitting your work or joining the River Voices team, please contact MCC English Instructor Shauna Hayes at (231) 777-0695 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The archival depository for Muskegon Community College is in the Hendrik Meijer Library/Information Technology Center. The Archives contains student literary magazine publications of original prose, poetry and artwork dating back to 1959. The publication, which has changed names over the years, was first titled Chanticleer, then Stark Naked, and is currently titled River Voices. An index to these publications is available in Excel format or in HTML format. The index includes the name of student, title of work, genre, publication, issue and date.
We are looking for submissions in the following four categories: Artwork, Photography, Fiction and Poetry.
All submissions must be submitted by February 15, 2021.
- Short fiction must be fewer than 2,000 words in length.
- Poems must be 100 lines or fewer.
- No previously published work may be submitted.
- Work must be original. Any borrowed ideas or language must be appropriately acknowledged.
- All entries must be titled and paginated.
- Fiction must be double-spaced unless alternate formatting is an integral part of the story’s aesthetic effect.
- Poems may be spaced and arranged according to the poet’s intent.
- Fiction and Poetry entries must be submitted in.docx or doc. format. (pdf formatted entries will not be accepted)
- Photography and Artwork must be submitted in .jpeg format and must be formatted with quality resolution.
- Please indicate the medium used if submitting Artwork.
Please complete the submission form completely and attach your entry before clicking on the submit button. Be sure to check that your submission form was fully completed and that you did not receive an error message.