MCC is now able to provide tuition-free courses to those currently employed as Corrections Officers who have not completed their 15-credit-hour requirement through the MI Corrections Officer Grant Program.
What does the MI Corrections Officer Grant cover?
The grant will cover tuition and all fees including course fees, program fees, lab fees, and mandatory fees at the 31 approved community colleges in Michigan. Muskegon Community College is one of the approved community college in Michigan that COs can attend. This program will NOT cover the cost such as textbooks or and supplies.
Am I eligible for this grant?
Corrections officers who meet the following criteria may be eligible for free tuition assistance to meet the 15-credit hour education requirement.
- Be employed by the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC)
- Have not earned 15 college credits and are eligible for the grant program with the approval of the Michigan Department of Corrections
- Enroll at a community college in Michigan (Out-of-state community colleges, public universities, and independent colleges are not eligible institutions for this program.)
What are my next steps?
- Apply for the MI Corrections Officers Grant
- Apply to Muskegon Community College
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if additional assistance is needed
- Financial Aid Office 231-777-0228 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit official high school or college transcripts to Muskegon Community College
- Have your high school or prior college send official transcript directly to MCC.
- Complete Course Placement
- Complete mandatory Orientation
- Log into your MyMCC, learn how here: https://youtu.be/dnLAVoyjhDY
- Make an appointment to meet with your counselor – Trefny Chelesvig
- Trefny can help you select classes for your appropriate semester and answer any questions you may have.
- Please visit muskegoncc.edu/counseling for more information.
Click here to view more helpful information regarding the MI Corrections Officer Grant program or if you have questions regarding their application.
If you have questions regarding the admissions process at MCC, please reach out to Ashley Battle, Manager of Admissions Partnerships at Ashley.email@example.com or 231-777-0648. Questions regarding class selection, please schedule an appointment with Trefny Chelesvig, Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 231-777-0362.