Congratulations to Darnell Earley, MCC’s 2015 Distinguished Alumnus!
Muskegon native Darnell Earley, the current emergency manager of Detroit Public Schools and a former city manager in Flint and Saginaw, has been named the 2015 Muskegon Community College Distinguished Alumni Award recipient.
Earley will be honored on Tuesday, May 5, at the Distinguished Alumni Award Dinner on campus and will address this year’s graduates on Wednesday, May 6, at the 2015 MCC Commencement in Walker Arena.
A tradition for many years at MCC, the Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest honor that Muskegon Community College bestows upon an outstanding alum. The award salutes the achievements of outstanding alumni whose personal lives, professional achievements, and community service exemplify the objectives of their alma mater.
Award recipients are selected based on the following criteria:
- MCC college career – The nominee must have earned an associate’s degree or certificate, or completed a minimum of 50 credit hours at Muskegon Community College and have demonstrated a record of excellence in academics and extracurricular participation.
- Professional achievement – The nominee must have distinguished himself or herself through achievement or advancement in his or her career, earned degrees, professional training, professional recognition and/or outstanding contributions to his or her field.
- Service to the community – Nominee shall have demonstrated a record of community participation and involvement.
- Advocacy of higher education and/or support of MCC. The nominee shall have a successful record in one or both of these areas.
- Availability – In addition to the above criteria, the nominee must be available to attend the Distinguished Alumni Dinner and also Commencement. The award recipient will give a short address to the graduating students at Commencement.
If you would like to nominate for the 2016 award, please use the online form linked below. All fields must be filled out to qualify. Note: it is recommended you have all information on the nominee in hand before filling out the nomination form. The form requires all contact information, and additional information as noted above. The deadline for 2016 nominations is December 18, 2015.