The Center for Theater
The Center, which operates within the Arts and Humanities Department, provides theater classes for MCC students as well as a diversified schedule of performances. These include a season of plays produced by the College, an annual concert by the Overbrook Dance Theater, and touring productions of various kinds.
MCC Presents “A Diary of Anne Frank” Oct. 24-27 in Overbrook Theater
Muskegon Community College will present “The Diary of Anne Frank” on Thursday-Sunday, Oct. 24-27, in Overbrook Theater.
MCC Theater Instructor Sheila Kulp Wahamaki will direct the play by Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett and adapted by Wendy Kesselman. The Thursday, Friday and Saturday performances begin at 7:30 p.m. The show, which runs approximately one-and-a-half hours with no intermission, concludes with a Sunday matinee at 3 p.m. A “Talk Back with Actors” will follow the Thursday, Oct. 24, performance.
Tickets go on sale Monday, Oct. 14, at the Overbrook Theater Box Office, 221 S. Quarterline Rd. Tickets are $10 for public and $5 for MCC students, staff, and faculty. Tickets may be reserved by calling (231) 777-0324.
A drama about the lives of eight people hiding from the Nazis in a concealed storage attic, “The Diary of Anne Frank” captures the claustrophobic realities of their daily existence – their fear, their hope, their laughter, their grief. Each day of the two dark years, Anne’s voice shines through, “When I write I shake off all my cares. But I want to achieve more than that. I want to be useful and bring enjoyment to all people, even those I’ve never met. I want to go on living even after my death!”
Anne Frank emerges from history a living, lyrical, intensely gifted young girl, who confronts her rapidly changing life and the increasing horror of her time with astonishing honesty, wit, and determination.
MCC student Melanie Lamrock portrays Anne Frank. Rounding out the cast are current MCC students Tiffany Bartlett, Mark Breitenbach, Keegan Colcleasure, Taylor DePouw, Thomas Hammersley, Isaac Hunter, Nathaniel Luben, Evan Sloan, Katrina Smith, Rachel Wade, Jacob Westerhof and Bradley Zouiek.
Assisting in presenting the play are MCC Student Director Julia Uganski, Set Designer Tom Harryman, Lighting Designer Jim Allen, Costume Designer Susan Eyler, and Hair and Make Up Designer Bill Abbott. Supporting the performance are student crewmembers Stan Shank, Max Olmstead, Allison Boerema, Taylor Freed, Tammy Tolar, Andrew Visscher, and Kristy Howard.
2019-2020 Calendar of Events
Muskegon Community College Center for Theater, which is celebrating the 50 years of performances at its Overbrook Theater, has announced its 2019-2020 schedule of theatrical productions which are centered on the theme “A Season of Hope.”
- In celebration of the Golden Anniversary of Overbrook Theater, which officially opened in January 1969, a Mystery Dinner Theater, titled “Murder at the Gallery,” will be offered on Saturday, Sept. 28.
- “The Diary of Anne Frank” will be performed on Thursday-Sunday, Oct. 24-27, in Overbrook Theater.
- The Center for Theater will present “Once Upon a Time: Stories of the Season” Wednesday-Saturday, Dec. 4-7, in Overbrook Theater.
- “Cabaret: The Musical” will be performed in Overbrook Theater on Thursday-Sunday, Feb. 20-23, 2020.
- “A Voice of My Own,” a celebration of Women in Literature, will take place on various dates during the months of March and April 2020. More details will follow.
- A tradition whose roots date back to the 1970s, “Dance Concert 30,” a celebration of Dance at MCC, returns to Overbrook Theater on Friday-Saturday, March 27-28, 2020.
- “Studio on Stage,” highlighting the work by MCC performing arts students in theater and dance courses, celebrates its 25th anniversary on Thursday, April 23, in Overbrook Theater.
For more information, contact the MCC Arts and Humanities Department at (231) 777-0324.