The Center for Theater
The Center, which operates within the Arts and Humanities Department, provides theater classes for MCC students as well as a diversified schedule of performances. These include a season of plays produced by the College, an annual concert by the Overbrook Dance Theater, and touring productions of various kinds.
“Once Upon A Time… Stories of the Season” Dec. 4-7 in Overbrook Theater
“Once Upon a Time…Stories of the Season” will be presented by Muskegon Community College’s Center for Theater on Wednesday, Dec. 4, through Saturday, Dec. 7, at 7:30 pm in Overbrook Theater.
The featured stories, many of which have been adapted for stage by the director and actors, include:
- A Visit from Mother Winter
- The Polar Express
- Home for the Holidays
- Angels Part II
- Hanukkah v. Christmas
- The Little Match Girl
- Der Belznickel
- The Gift of the Magi
Directed by MCC Theater Instructor Tom Harryman, “Once Upon a Time…Stories of the Season” features cast members Alex Kooi, Dekari Lawrence, Adrianne Lewis, Luke Lewis, Mark Lewis, Annmarie Santos, Olyvia Staples, Chelsea Theile and Brianna White. Technical assistance for the production is provided by Sheila Wahamaki, Jim Allen and Susan Eyler.
The performance, which runs approximately one hour and 20 minutes with no intermission, is recommended for ages 8 and up.
Tickets, now on sale at the Overbrook Theater Box Office, are $10 for the public and $5 for MCC students, staff, and faculty. To reserve tickets or for more information, call (231) 777-0324.
2019-2020 Calendar of Events
Muskegon Community College Center for Theater, which is celebrating the 50 years of performances at its Overbrook Theater, has announced its 2019-2020 schedule of theatrical productions which are centered on the theme “A Season of Hope.”
- In celebration of the Golden Anniversary of Overbrook Theater, which officially opened in January 1969, a Mystery Dinner Theater, titled “Murder at the Gallery,” will be offered on Saturday, Sept. 28.
- “The Diary of Anne Frank” will be performed on Thursday-Sunday, Oct. 24-27, in Overbrook Theater.
- The Center for Theater will present “Once Upon a Time: Stories of the Season” Wednesday-Saturday, Dec. 4-7, in Overbrook Theater.
- “Cabaret: The Musical” will be performed in Overbrook Theater on Thursday-Sunday, Feb. 20-23, 2020.
- “A Voice of My Own,” a celebration of Women in Literature, will take place on various dates during the months of March and April 2020. More details will follow.
- A tradition whose roots date back to the 1970s, “Dance Concert 30,” a celebration of Dance at MCC, returns to Overbrook Theater on Friday-Saturday, March 27-28, 2020.
- “Studio on Stage,” highlighting the work by MCC performing arts students in theater and dance courses, celebrates its 25th anniversary on Thursday, April 23, in Overbrook Theater.
For more information, contact the MCC Arts and Humanities Department at (231) 777-0324.