Student Employment


What is a student employee?
A student employee is a student hired for employment at MCC. For a student to be eligible for student employment, the following must be in place:

  1. You must be a current MCC student enrolled in at least 6 (six) credits each semester.
  2. You must be 18 (eighteen) years old or a high school graduate.
  3. You must apply for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) before being considered for student employment.  Your FAFSA must be on file with the Financial Aid Office before you apply for a position.  Questions regarding FAFSA should be directed to Financial Aid (231.777.0221).
  4. You must be eligible to work in the United States of America.
  5. While attending MCC, you must possess and maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average (GPA) to be eligible for student employment.  If a current student employee fails to maintain the minimum 2.0 GPA, he or she will be given one semester to bring the overall GPA back up to 2.0 before employment is ended.
  6. You must have a resume and valid social security card for payroll purposes.

Keep in mind that these are the basic requirements for student eligibility.  Many students may fit these definitions but, due to funding limitations, may not be awarded funding. In order to receive full consideration for financial assistance, completed FAFSA applications must be on file at the college prior to applying for positions.

 What does Work-Study mean?
Work-study is a need-based financial aid program funded by the federal government and MCC.  It is awarded to students based on need who are enrolled at least half time during the period of their employment.  Unlike grants and scholarships, work-study awards are earned and paid through the payroll process in the form of a bi-weekly paycheck.  Work-study awards and amounts are subject to eligibility requirements and available funds.  For more information please visit Financial Aid.  In addition to providing financial assistance, College work-study helps students gain valuable experience while pursuing a college education.

The title “work-study” does not mean you get paid to do homework.  It means you are being paid to perform a service and gain valuable work experience.

What do I need to do to apply?

  1. Prepare a resume (For tips on creating a resume visit Career Services)
  2. Access open jobs at StudentJobs@MCC – Student.  (Click on students under Open Positions/Pools)
  3. Choose a job that you would like to apply for.
  4. Answer the questions and upload your resume.  Once you have completed the process you will receive an email confirmation.

Where can I get additional information about student employment?
Additional information can be found on MyMCC by clicking here.

Who can I contact if I have questions about student employment?
Human Resources
(231) 777-0530

If you have questions regarding eligibility for Work-Study, please contact:
(231) 777-0228