Choosing the courses that are right for you requires careful planning. The results of placement tests can help you make good choices. Therefore, to help you plan and be successful in your classes, the College requires that you complete all placement tests before registering for classes.
Scheduling an Appointment
Appointments for all tests are required. To schedule an appointment for the MCC placement test, please email your name, phone number, student number, birthdate, and ACT/SAT scores and date taken to TestingCenter@muskegoncc.edu and indicate that you are interested in making an appointment to take the placement test. You may also call (231) 777-0394 or stop in Room 134.
Appointment times (Fall/Winter):
- Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday: 10:00 am
- Monday and Thursday: 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm
Appointment times (May 29-July 27)
- Monday thru Thursday: 11:00 am and 2:00 pm
- Friday: 9:00 am
Note: Examinees should arrive 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. Late arrivals will be rescheduled. Any tests not completed by 15 minutes prior to closing will require an additional appointment for test completion on another date.
Remote Testing Scheduling (Outside of Muskegon)
If you are planning to attend MCC, but do not currently live in Muskegon, you can schedule to take the MCC Placement test at a remote test site. To do so, please contact the MCC Testing Center either via email TestingCenter@muskegoncc.edu or call 231-777-0394 to setup your Remote Test Registration at another college in your area.
If you live in Muskegon, but are planning to attend another college or university that also requires the Accuplacer Placement test, you can schedule to take the test here at MCC. You must first contact the Testing/Placement Office at the college or university where you are planning to attend and ask to be registered for a Remote Test at Muskegon Community College. You will receive an email with a Registration Number and instructions on how to make your testing appointment at MCC. There is a $25 fee for all non-MCC students.
Who must test?
All new students are expected to take the MCC Placement Test unless one of the following criteria is met. Scores are valid for 3 years and a copy must be provided to the MCC Testing Center.
- MEAP/MME Reading and Writing – Score of 1 or 2 on both (Must take MCC Math Placement)
- ACT Reading, English and Math – Score of 19 or higher on each
- SAT Reading – Score of 25 or higher
- SAT Writing & Language- Score of 26 or higher
- SAT Math – Score of 26 or higher
What is the MCC Placement Test?
The placement test that you will be taking is a computer based system named Accuplacer which is used to place you in classes that match your abilities. You cannot fail the placement tests; they are used as a starting point. These scores will place you in courses that will help you develop the necessary skills for success in future classes.
The Accuplacer test is a series of tests that will measure a level of a student’s reading, writing skills and math skills.
Review material for MCC Placement Testing
Please review the following material before taking the MCC Placement tests:
How long does it take to complete the tests?
The total test (Reading, Sentence Skills, and Math) takes approximately two (2) hours to complete.
What will I need to take the test?
- All students taking the MCC Placement test should first apply to MCC and have a processed application with a student number. It is important that this step is completed FIRST, so the Testing Center staff can actually enter the scores on the student’s MCC record once the test is complete. If the student has applied, but does not know the student number, a Testing Center staff member can look up the information at the point when the student is scheduling the appointment.
- Anyone who does not have a student number will be charged a $25 fee to take the MCC Placement Test. If you wish for MCC to send your test scores to another college, organization, or company, you must complete the Authorization to Release Test Information.
- The MCC Placement Test is taken on the computer. We provide pencils and scrap paper.
- There is a calculator available within the MCC Placement Test as needed. Students cannot use a separate calculator other than the one within the testing system.
How will I get my scores?
Immediately after you have finished taking the MCC Placement Test you will receive a copy of your results. Keep your test results for counselor usage and enrollment purposes.
What if I need to retest?
If necessary, students may repeat the MCC Placement Test ONE TIME. A 24-hour wait is required between initial test and retest. This is for all three portions of the test. If a student has taken any portion of the test 2 times, the student will need permission from an MCC Counselor in order to take that portion a third time. If a student takes the MCC Placement test more than twice without counselor permission, the results may be declared null and void.
Why is testing required?
The College adopted a placement testing policy to help students understand their abilities and choose courses wisely. We are as concerned with your success in college as you are. You should make an appointment with a counselor ((231) 777-0362) after testing for career planning and course selection.