Muskegon Community College welcomes transfer students. We may award transfer credit for coursework from accredited institutions of higher education and the United States Military Service. Transfer credits may also be awarded for some Advanced Placement (AP), Articulated Credits, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations and Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES).
Muskegon Community College will award equivalent course credit when applicable, and when direct equivalencies are not available, elective credit in appropriate academic subjects may be awarded.
- Apply Online for Admission to Muskegon Community College.
- We will only accept Official College transcripts and score reports by mail or sent electronically through the institution’s secure third party vendor.
- Official Score Reports must be sent directly from the national testing service; official transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution and must have appropriate seal and signature. Both should be sent to:
Transfer Evaluation, Room 100-J
Muskegon Community College
221 S. Quarterline Rd.
Muskegon, MI 49442
- Regionally Accredited college or university – Transfer credit must be from a regionally accredited college or university. Please do not have transcripts or score reports sent to you as they will not be accepted as official.
- Grades – Only courses in which a student received a “C” or better will be considered for transfer credit.
- Credits only, not grades are accepted in transfer. Grades are not entered on the official MCC transcript or calculated in the cumulative grade point average.
- Residency Requirement – A student may transfer any number of credits to MCC, however, a student must complete at least 30 credit hours, or the last 15 credit hours of a degree, at MCC in order to receive the Muskegon Community College Degree.
- Course Descriptions/Syllabi- If a determination cannot be made on the credit a student should receive, the student may have to obtain a copy of course descriptions and/or course syllabi with objectives. The Records Office will contact the appropriate academic department for determination.
- The total amount of transfer credit accepted from another institution will appear on the student’s MCC transcript, but not the specific credit accepted.
- Students who transfer a course which has a higher number of credit hours than the Muskegon Community College equivalent course will be awarded the “excess” credit.
- Evaluation Time -Transcripts will be evaluated within approximately two to three weeks for in-state and three to five weeks for out of state, except during the beginning and end of the semester when evaluation times may run longer.
- International Transcripts – International credits must be evaluated through www.wes.org or www.ece.org to be accepted for evaluation.
Time Limits on Transfer Credits
- Accounting Courses – Must have been earned within ten years prior to the evaluation.
- Information Technology/Computer Science Courses – Must have been earned within five years prior to the time of the evaluation.
- Liberal Arts – Liberal Arts courses generally don’t have a time limit on the courses used toward an Associate in Science and Arts Degree at Muskegon Community College.
- Nursing Courses — All Nursing courses, as well as non-nursing courses required for nursing degrees, must be earned within eight years prior to the time of evaluation. If test/coursework is over eight years old, competency must be validated on established examinations or by repeating the course.
- Office System Education Courses – Must have been earned within 10 years prior to the time of the evaluation.
- Technology and Technology Related Courses – Technology courses such as Automotive, Electronics, Graphic Design, Machining, Materials Technology and Welding must have been earned within 10 years prior to the time of the evaluation.
Please direct any questions to our email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Request for Transfer Course Equivalency Reevaluation
Muskegon Community College has established the following procedure for students requesting reevaluation of their transfer equivalency. The reevaluation guidelines are:
- Only courses from a regionally accredited institution with a “C” and above will be considered. An Official transcript must be on file before a reevaluation will be considered.
- Complete one request form for each department and include a copy of course descriptions and course syllabi which includes course objectives & outcomes for the year the course was taken.
- Return form, course description and syllabus to Registrar’s Office
- Results of your reevaluation are final and are based on documentation you submitted. Final results will be mailed to you within four weeks.
- Incomplete Reevaluation Forms and lack of documentation will not be considered for reevaluation.
- Approval Dean of Student Service/Registrar or Associate Registrar is required to start process.