Transferring Credit to MCC


Muskegon Community College welcomes college and university transfer students! In general, we award college transfer credit for coursework completed with a grade of “C” or higher from regionally-accredited institutions of higher education. MCC will award equivalent course credit when applicable, and when direct equivalencies are not available, we may award elective credit in the appropriate academic subjects.

To view the many different ways students may get credit at MCC (including credit for exams like AP, CLEP, and IB), visit our Credit for Prior Learning page.

Transfer Credit Guidelines

Incoming transfer credit is determined on an individual student basis using these guidelines:
  • Enroll First – Students must first enroll to MCC by applying online before a college/university transcript may be evaluated for possible transfer credit.
  • Official Transcripts – MCC will only accept official college transcripts sent directly from the college/university where the credit was originally completed. In order to be considered “official,” transcripts must be sent directly from the college/university where the credit was originally earned, not directly from the student.
  • How & Where to Send – Official transcripts may be sent by mail or sent electronically through the college/university’s secure third-party transcript ordering system. If an MCC email is needed when requesting your transcript from another school, use: The mailing address to send official transcripts is:

Registrar’s Office
Muskegon Community College
221 S. Quarterline Rd.
Muskegon, MI 49442

  • Regionally Accredited College/University – MCC will only consider transfer credit from a regionally accredited college or university. A list of regional-accrediting organizations can be viewed here.
  • Grades – Only courses with a grade of “C” or higher will be considered for transfer credit. Credits only, not grades, are accepted in transfer. Grades from other schools are not entered on MCC transcripts nor calculated in the cumulative grade point average.
  • Degree Residency Requirement A student may transfer any number of credits to MCC; however, a student must complete at least 30 credit hours, or the last 15 credit hours of a degree, at MCC in order to receive a degree from MCC.
  • Course Descriptions/Syllabi – If a determination cannot be made on the transfer credit a student should receive, the student may need to obtain a copy of course descriptions and/or syllabi with course objectives. The Registrar’s Office will contact the appropriate academic department to review the course descriptions/syllabi and make a determination.
  • Transfer Credit on MCC Transcripts – The total amount of transfer credit accepted from another college/university will appear on the student’s MCC transcript, but not the specific credit accepted.
  • Evaluation Time – Transcripts will be evaluated within approximately 2-3 weeks for in-state colleges/universities and 3-5 weeks for out-of-state colleges/universities. The evaluation time may be longer during peak times.
  • International Transcripts – International credits must be evaluated through or to be accepted for evaluation.

Time Limits on Transfer Credits

In most cases, credits will be accepted without a time limit. For certain courses, current knowledge in the subject matter is essential, so there are time limits on certain courses. The following courses must have been taken within the time limits listed:
  • Accounting – Credit must be earned within the past ten years.
  • Information Technology/Computer Science – Credit must be earned within the past five years.
  • Nursing – All Nursing courses, as well as non-Nursing courses required for nursing degrees, must be earned within the past eight years. If credit was earned more than eight years ago, competency must be validated by established examinations or by repeating the course. Please contact the Nursing department for more information about the possibility of Nursing transfer credit or competency examinations.
  • Office System Education Credit must be earned within the past 10 years. 
  • Liberal Arts – Liberal Arts courses generally don’t have a time limit for transfer credit or being used towards a degree program at MCC. 

Transfer Re-Evaluation Request 

If you wish to contest the transfer credit you were awarded, you may submit the Request for Transfer Course Equivalency Re-Evaluation Form.

  • Complete one request form for each department/subject area and include a copy of course descriptions and course syllabi, which should include course objectives and outcomes for the year the course was taken.
  • Send the form, course descriptions, and course syllabi to the Registrar’s Office at
  • Results of your re-evaluation are final and are based on documentation you submitted. Final results will be emailed to students’ MCC email accounts within four weeks.


For any questions about transferring college/university credit to MCC, please contact the Registrar’s Office at or (231) 777-0310.