The Michigan Reconnect program helps pay for Michiganders 25 or older, who do not have a college degree but would like to earn a certificate or an associate degree at a community college.
What does MI Reconnect cover?
The program only covers tuition and mandatory fees at the in-county rate for an occupational certificate or an associate degree. This is a last dollar scholarship which means it covers cost after all other financial aid is applied. This program does NOT cover cost such as books, course fees, or class materials. Students who live outside of Muskegon County will still be able to receive the MI Reconnect scholarship, but their certificate or associate degree will not be tuition-free. The students will pay the difference between the in-county and out-of-county rate.
Do I qualify as in-county at Muskegon Community College?
To be eligible for in-county rates, you must reside in Muskegon County. If you are not sure, click here and then type your address in the search field and hit enter. The county in which you reside will appear in the upper right corner.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for the Reconnect program, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- 25 years or older when you apply
- Be a Michigan resident for at least the past 1 year
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (ex: GED)
- Have not yet earned an associate or bachelor’s degree
- Be eligible to complete the FAFSA
- ex: Be either a US citizen or an eligible non-citizen, based on federal financial aid requirements
- Previously earned a certificate but have NOT yet earned an associate or bachelor’s degree, you are eligible to apply for this program
- Currently enrolled in an associate degree program or occupational certificate program but have NOT completed either, you are eligible to apply for this program
What are my next steps?
Already applied and accepted for the Michigan Reconnect Program…check your application status here!
Michigan Reconnect scholarship recipients must:
- Remain a resident of the State of Michigan
- Stay enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours per semester) in course that are required for your program. Complete at least 2 semesters and earn at least 12 credits in a 12-month period.
- Maintain at least a 2.0 GPA in the courses taken towards your associate degree or Pell-eligible occupational certificate
- Complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) annually
For questions regarding the application process or for technical support while completing the application, please contact the state’s customer care center at (517) 636-7000. Click here to view more helpful information for the Michigan Reconnect Program.
For more information on the Michigan Reconnect program at Muskegon Community College, please contact Elizabeth Arangure-Martinez, Ashley Battle or Stephanie Briggs.
Student Success Coach
Call or Text (231) 777-0433
Manager of Admissions Partnerships
Call or Text (231) 777-0648
Director of Admissions
Call or Text (231) 777-0337