The Michigan Reconnect program helps pay for training for non-traditional students who want to earn a certificate in the skilled trades or an associate degree. The program covers in-district tuition costs after all other financial aid is applied. Students who do not qualify for Pell Grants would be eligible for some tuition assistance.
The application process opened on February 2, 2021.
- To apply to the Reconnect program, please complete the online application found here. Once your application has been submitted, applicants will be notified of acceptance in real time on the application website, as well as by email.
- Apply to Muskegon Community College at www.muskegoncc.edu/apply. The admissions checklist can be found here.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for Reconnect program, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be at least 25 years old when you apply
- Be a Michigan resident for at least 1 year (US citizen or eligible noncitizen)
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (ex: GED)
- Have not yet earned an associate or bachelor’s degree
- If you have previously earned a certificate but have not yet earned an associate or bachelor’s degree, you are eligible to apply for this program
- If you are currently enrolled in an associate degree program or occupational certificate program but have NOT completed either, you are eligible to apply for this program
Do I qualify as in-district at Muskegon Community College?
To be eligible for in-district rates, you must reside in Muskegon County. If you are not sure, click here and then type your address in the search field and hit enter. The county in which you reside will appear in the upper right corner.
Accepted for the Michigan Reconnect Program…what’s next?
- Apply and be admitted to Muskegon Community College. To apply please click here
- Be sure to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To complete the FAFSA, visit www.fafsa.gov MCC school code: 002297
- Submit official high school or college transcripts to Muskegon Community College. Contact your high school and request your official transcript sent to MCC.
- Make an appointment to meet with a counselor. Counselors will help you select courses for your appropriate semester. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.muskegoncc.edu/counseling.
- Register and begin classes within a year of your Reconnect acceptance. You must at least be registered as half-time status (at least 6 credits per semester). Need instructions on how to register for classes? Check out a Video Tutorial or a Written Tutorial on how to register.
- Complete new student orientation. Please go to www.muskegoncc.edu/orientation to find more information on how to complete your new student orientation
Michigan Reconnect scholarship recipients must:
- Remain a resident of the State of Michigan
- Take at least 12 credit hours (a minimum of 6 credits per semester) per calendar year
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in the courses taken towards your associate degree or Pell-eligible occupational certificate
- Complete the FAFSA annually
For questions regarding the application process or for technical support while completing the application, please contact the state’s customer care center at (517) 636-7000. Click here to view more helpful information for the Michigan Reconnect Program.
For more information on the Michigan Reconnect program at Muskegon Community College, please contact Ashley Battle or Stephanie Briggs.
Manager of Admissions Partnerships
Director of Admissions