The Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest honor that Muskegon Community College bestows upon an outstanding graduate. The award salutes the achievements of exceptional alumni whose personal lives, professional achievements, and community service exemplify the goals of their alma mater.
2023 DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI AWARD RECIPIENT – Kathy Moore, Class of 1991
Kathy Moore has served the citizens of Muskegon County for over 30 years. As the Administrative Health Officer and Public Health Director for Muskegon County, she is empowered by the Michigan Public Health Code to implement and enforce rules and regulations to prevent disease, promote health and protect the environment. She credits the “awesome leadership and collaborative spirit” of our local community service organizations for working in partnership to successfully respond to the challenges of the pandemic.
Kathy’s dedication to public service is exemplified by decades of community service. Kathy was elected to the Muskegon Community College Board of Trustees in 2014 and currently serves as Treasurer. In addition, she has volunteered her expertise to over a dozen organizations including Access Health, Girl Scouts, Harbor Hospice Palliative Care, Muskegon Rotary Club, United Way of the Lakeshore, Foundation for Muskegon Community College, and Urban League of Greater Muskegon.
After graduating from Muskegon Community College, she earned a Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting from Grand Valley State University. Her professional development achievements include Public Health Leadership Scholars Program, Leadership West Michigan, FEMA Incident Command System Certificates, Emergency Management Institute, Six Sigma Lean Black Belt in Government, and others.
Her service and accomplishments have been recognized with a variety of honors including; Jean Chabut Health Policy Champion Award from the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services; Outstanding Leader Recognition from the Muskegon N.A.A.C.P.; Community Impact Award from United Way of the Lakeshore; Local Public Health Director’s Award from the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services; Woman of Accomplishment Award from the Greater Muskegon Women’s Club; and others.
Kathy and her spouse, Marvin, have two grown daughters, both of whom graduated from the University of Michigan, and a 14-year-old son who is an athlete and mathlete in Reeths-Puffer Schools.
Distinguished Alumni Award at MCC
A tradition for many years at MCC, the Distinguished Alumni Award is the highest honor that Muskegon Community College bestows upon an outstanding alum. The award salutes the achievements of outstanding alumni whose personal lives, professional achievements, and community service exemplify the objectives of their alma mater.
Award recipients are selected based on the following criteria:
- MCC college career – The nominee must have earned an associate’s degree or certificate, or completed a minimum of 50 credit hours at Muskegon Community College and have demonstrated a record of excellence in academics and extracurricular participation.
- Professional and Community Achievement – The nominee must have distinguished himself or herself through achievement or advancement in their career, earned degrees, professional training, professional recognition and/or outstanding contributions to their field. Nominee shall have demonstrated a record of community participation and involvement.
- Service to the community – The nominee shall have demonstrated a record of community participation and involvement.
- Advocacy of higher education and/or support of MCC – The nominee shall have a successful record in one or both of these areas.
- The award recipient will provide a short address to the graduating students at Commencement.
Nominate an MCC graduate for the Distinguished Alumni Award
Do you know an outstanding MCC alumnus?
If you would like to nominate for the 2024 award, please use the online form linked below. All fields must be filled out to qualify. Note: it is recommended you have all information on the nominee in hand before filling out the nomination form. The form requires all contact information, and additional information as noted above.