Types of Aid

State Programs 

College Programs

Other Scholarships

Veterans’ Programs

Local Community Programs

Other Federal and State Programs

Federal Programs

Federal Pell Grants are available to students in financial need. Grants range from $639 to $6,345. The actual amount of each grant depends upon the student’s eligibility number and the number of credit hours being carried each semester. A Pell award may be used during the fall, winter and summer semesters. To be eligible to receive most funds, students must be enrolled at least halftime.

Awards are prorated according to the number of credit hours carried:
1-5.5 credits……………. less than 1/2 time award
6-8.5 credits……………. 1/2 time award
9-11.5 credits………….. 3/4-time award
12+ credits……………. full-time award

Students apply for a Pell Grant by completing the FAFSA.

The SEOG Program funds are available to students with exceptional financial need that have not been met through other financial aid programs. Grants may range from $100 to $4000. Preference is given to full-time freshman students who show exceptional financial need.

The College Work-Study Program provides part-time employment of up to 20 hours per week to students in financial need. Filing the FAFSA is required.  Preference is given to full-time students who have no other source of employment, either on or off campus.

MCC participates only in the Federal Direct Student Loan Programs.  The U.S. Government sponsors a variety of low-to-moderate interest student and parent loan programs through the U.S. Department of Education. Interest rates are variable, and range from about 4% to 10%. MCC does not participate with lenders that offer private student loans.  MCC does not have any preferred lender lists or lender arrangements.

    The Direct Student Loan Program provides long-term, low interest loans to students enrolled in and attending at least half-time (6 credits) at MCC. Before applying for a loan, the student must first apply for the Federal Pell Grant Program. A student who demonstrates financial need based on federal guidelines may qualify for an interest-subsidized loan (i.e. the Federal Government pays the interest while the borrower is in school).

Students who do not show need may qualify for a non-subsidized loan, and pay the in-school interest themselves. Repayment of the principal of subsidized and non-subsidized loans does not begin until six months after the borrower ceases half- time attendance.

    Parents of students under the age of 24 may borrow under this program. The PLUS Loan is not based on financial need, and neither the parent nor the student has to apply for any federal aid program before applying for a PLUS Loan.



*State Programs

The Michigan Competitive Scholarship Program provides tuition grants of up to $1000 per academic year. Eligibility is based on both financial need and academic achievement. Students must take the A.C.T. test no later than December of their senior year in high school, and have a copy of their SAR released to the State Scholarship Program. Students may receive up to ten full semesters of assistance, provided they renew their application each academic year. Further information may be obtained from the high school guidance office.

  • Learn more about “MCS” at MI Student Aid

To meet the financial eligibility requirement, a student must have (or have had) Medicaid coverage for 24 months within a 36 consecutive month period as identified by the Family Independence Agency (FIA).  This can happen as early as the sixth grade.  The Michigan Department of Treasury will send an application form to the home of each of these identified students.  The student must complete the application form and return it to Treasury before graduation from high school (or GED completion) and before their 20th birthday to activate the financial eligibility for the program.  Only then will the student receive a “confirmation letter.”  All benefits must be used within six years of high school graduation (or GED completion) or student forfeits program eligibility. To receive Phase I benefits, the student must further demonstrate to the participating college:

  • Evidence of eligibility, i.e., submit a copy of the confirmation letter to the financial aid office of the college and complete the “Application Process” to receive student aid at MCC.
  • High school graduation (or GED completion) prior to age 20.
  • U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizen status, or designated “refugee”, “asylum granted”, “humanitarian parole”, “indefinite parole”, or “Cuban-Haitian entrant” status.
  • Michigan residence as determined by institutional criteria.
  • Initiation of benefits for enrollment at a participating college within four years of high school graduation or GED completion. Eligibility ends six years from the date of high school graduation or GED completion, effective with the class of 2010.
  • Future awards are subject to available and approved funding.
  • At least half-time enrollment in a program other than theology or divinity earning less than 80 semester or 120 term credits.
  • Satisfactory academic progress according to institutional policy

Learn more about “TIP” at MI Student Aid

The Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver program was enacted by Public Act 174 of 1976, which waives the tuition costs for eligible Native Americans in public community colleges or universities within Michigan.  To be considered eligible, applicants must be a Michigan resident and have resided in Michigan for twelve consecutive months at the time of application; must attend a public institution in Michigan; and must be one-quarter Native American blood quantum AND enrolled member of a U.S. federally-recognized tribe.

Learn more about MI Indian Tuition Waiver

*All State programs are pending funding.


College Programs

Amount: up to $1,000 annually. This scholarship is for non-traditional students. Requirements:

  • Must be in a degree seeking program.
  • Must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours.
  • If re-entering, there must be a three-year break in your education at Muskegon Community College for you to be considered for this award.
  • Must complete FAFSA to demonstrate financial need.
  • Minimum 2.0 high school or last college attended GPA.
  • General Essay Required.

Amount: up to $1,000 annually. This scholarship is open to all first-time freshman. Requirements:

  • Must be in a degree seeking program.
  • Must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours.
  • Resides outside of Muskegon County.
  • Minimum 2.0 high school GPA.
  • Must complete FAFSA to demonstrate financial need.
  • General Essay Required.

Muskegon County Residents who are 60 years of age or older may enroll under the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver program. This program waives tuition for both credit and audited courses. The waiver will be applied after all other gift aid or sponsors.  It does net cover secondary admit programs like Medical Assistant, Nursing and Respiratory Therapy programs. Financial need is not a criterion for this program. You can print the application waiver form here.

This program provides tuition grants to students who demonstrate a particular creative talent (for example: in art, music, drama, dance, creative writing, etc.) or a high level of achievement in a certain academic area. Students are nominated by the faculty of each academic department and each department sets its own guidelines for selection of students. Recipients are normally expected to participate in the activities of the department and/or maintain a specified level of academic achievement within their program of studies. This program is not based on financial need. Grants may exceed full tuition costs, and may be renewed upon the recommendation of the department.  Additional information may be obtained by contacting the Chairperson of the academic department in which the student is interested.

These grants, ranging up to full tuition and books, are available to students who demonstrate collegiate-level athletic ability, carry a minimum of 12 credits per semester, and participate in one of the intercollegiate sports offered at MCC. Students must maintain academic eligibility in order to participate in intercollegiate athletics as well as to receive a grant. Applications, which area available from the Athletic Department Office, should be submitted to the Director of Athletics along with a complete high school transcript.


Other Scholarships
Veterans’ Programs

Veterans, veteran dependents/survivors, and Reserve/National Guard personnel may be eligible to receive aid under one or more of the programs listed below. Applications for federal programs may be obtained from any regional Veterans Administration Office. Applications for the state program may be obtained by contacting the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund, Information and forms are also available from the College’s Veterans’ Affairs Office. The Veterans’ Affairs Office will also assist students in completing forms for other veteran benefits.

CHAPTER 30 This federal program provides educational benefits for veterans who entered military service after July 1, 1985. Veterans who entered military service before January 1, 1977 and served actively for at least two years after July 1, 1985 may also be eligible (Montgomery G.I. Bill).

CHAPTER 31 This federal program provides educational benefits to eligible disabled veterans (Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation) with at least a 10% service connected disability to be considered for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment.  For directions on how to apply, please go to Vocational Rehabilitation Services and follow the steps provided for you.  To get more information regarding this program, please go to www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab.

CHAPTER 32 This federal program provides educational benefits on a matching fund basis to eligible veterans who contributed while in the service (V.E.A.P.).

CHAPTER 33 – The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009.  For additional information please go to the Post 9-11 pamphlet.

CHAPTER 35 (DEA) — This federal program provides educational benefits to children (between the ages of 18 and 26), spouses, and widows/widowers of totally disabled or certain deceased veterans.

CHAPTER 1606 This federal program provides educational benefits to persons who entered a six year Reserve or National Guard obligation after July 1, 1985 (Selected Reserve/National Guard G.I. Bill).

CHAPTER 1607  This is a new federal education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), and National Guard, who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.

MICHIGAN VETERANS TRUST FUND (MI PUBLIC ACT 245)- This state program provides benefits for children (between the ages of 16 – 26 years) of certain totally disabled or deceased Michigan veterans. Eligible students must enroll full-time, and may receive up to $2,800 per year for tuition and class fees. Applications are available from the MI Veterans Trust fund, 611 W. Ottawa, 3rd Floor, Lansing, MI 48913.

REINSTATED ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM- This federal program provides benefits for some veteran dependents, while in school, who are no longer eligible for Social Security benefits (R.E.P.S.).

DEATH INDEMNITY COMPENSATION- This federal program provides benefits, while in school, for certain children (under the age of 23) of certain deceased veterans (D.I.C.).


Local Community Programs

Many local clubs, businesses, and agencies sponsor scholarship programs. High school students should contact their guidance counselor for information on these sources of financial aid.

Many companies sponsor scholarships for their employees and/or children; students should check with the personnel offices of their own or their parents’ employers.


Other Federal and State Programs

Occupational Support Services Grant
This grant provides financial assistance to students who are enrolled in an approved occupational program. The student must also be a member of one of these groups: Single Parent, Displaced homemaker, non-traditional male or female, an individual with a disability, economically disadvantaged or limited English proficiency. Financial assistance covers tuition, fees and books. For more information please contact the Disability Support Services Office in Room 2046

This state program provides assistance to students who have physical, mental, or emotional disabilities. Information may be obtained by contacting any Michigan Department of Career Development -Rehabilitation Services District Office.

These federally and tribally funded programs provide financial assistance for Native Americans who are eligible according to the criteria established by each individual Tribe.  Applications may be obtained by contacting the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs or your Tribal Education Department.  Students must also apply for financial aid through the college and submit the FAFSA.