MCC Receives $5.6 Million Appropriation for Health and Wellness Center

MCC Health and Wellness Center

A rendering of Muskegon Community College's Health and Wellness Center

Muskegon Community College will receive a capital outlay appropriation of $5.6 million from the State of Michigan in support of a $14.1 million project to construct a new Health and Wellness Center on the college’s main campus.  The appropriation is part of the 2017-2018 state budget signed by Governor Rick Snyder last week.

The legislative appropriation and construction authorization follows the submission of the original proposal in 2015 and receipt of planning authorization approval in 2016.  MCC will contribute 60 percent of the project cost with the State of Michigan providing the remaining 40 percent.

The 52,400 square foot Health and Wellness Center will include collaborative learning spaces, classrooms, activity spaces, and a Health Simulation Lab to support the college’s nursing, respiratory therapy and medical assistant programs.

“We are grateful to receive this appropriation, which will allow us to better serve our students and support the healthcare community in Muskegon,” commented MCC President Dale Nesbary.  “I want to especially thank our Muskegon-area state legislators for their support of this project – Senator Goeff Hansen, Representative Holly Hughes and Representative Terry Sabo – along with former state representative Jon Bumstead who crafted the original legislation supporting the bill.”

Construction on the new MCC Health and Wellness Center will begin October 2017 and is expected to be completed by December 2018.