Muskegon Community College will host a virtual Town Hall on Nov. 18 for anyone interested in the Michigan Reconnect program, which helps pay for training for eligible Michigan residents 25 years of age or older, seeking to earn a certificate in the skilled trades or an associate degree.
The informational meeting, which is free and open to the public, takes place from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 18. Participants should use the following Zoom link to join the meeting: https://muskegoncc-edu.zoom.us/j/99142116591
The Michigan Reconnect program covers in-district tuition costs after all other financial aid is applied. Students who do not qualify for Pell Grants would be eligible for some tuition assistance.
To be eligible for Reconnect program, an individual must:
- Be at least 25 years old when you apply
- Be a Michigan resident for at least 1 year (US citizen or eligible noncitizen)
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent, e.g., GED
- Have not yet earned an associate or bachelor’s degree
- Not be in default on a federal student loan
- If you have previously earned a certificate but have not yet earned an associate or bachelor’s degree, you are eligible to apply for this program. Also, if you are currently enrolled in an associate degree program or occupational certificate program but have not completed either, you are eligible to apply for this program.
“At MCC, we are always looking for ways to assist our adult community members who might be considering pursuing a degree or certificate,” said John Selmon, provost/executive vice president at MCC. “The Michigan Reconnect program is designed for them. It truly can be a life-changing experience, but they have to take the first step.”
Muskegon Community College has a website – www.muskegoncc.edu/reconnect – to answer questions about Michigan Reconnect, outline the steps needed to determine eligibility, and provide assistance with applying to MCC. For more information, visit the website or call Ashley Battle at (231) 777-0648.
For questions regarding the application process or for technical support while completing the application, please contact the state’s customer care center at (517) 636-7000 or visit https://www.michigan.gov/reconnect.