Thank you for your interest in the field of Respiratory Care. Northwestern Michigan College (NMC) is pleased to be a partner with Muskegon Community College and Munson Medical Center to offer a collaborative program leading to an Associate in Applied Science Degree in Respiratory Therapy. This program is now offered in Traverse City. All liberal arts and science courses can be taken through NMC, while all respiratory classes will be offered at Munson Medical Center via live interactive television from Muskegon Community College. This program is fully accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
The Respiratory Therapy program begins each fall semester. Enrollment in the program is based on the student meeting the following criteria: overall GPA of 2.0 and proficiency testing in Algebra and English. Depending on placement test results and high school and/or college transcript evaluation, some prerequisite classes may be required. Students who have completed the non-RT courses will be given preference over those who only have the minimum requirements. Class sizes generally begin with 6-8 students in the Munson interactive classroom.
After completing two years and a semester of instruction, the therapist student receives the Associate in Applied Science Degree (AAS) from Muskegon Community College. The student must pass the advanced practical examination given by the National Board for Respiratory Therapy in order to receive credentials.
Application and Registration Procedures for NMC Students
Students interested in pursuing a degree in Traverse City for Respiratory Therapy from Muskegon Community College would follow these guidelines for application to and registration in the program.
- Submit an application to Northwestern Michigan College (NMC). Applications are available by calling Admissions at 231-995-1054 or by visiting www.nmc.edu/admissions
- Meet with the Respiratory Therapy Advisor, Laura Schmidt to complete your Educational Development plan for completing your Liberal Arts and Sciences at NMC.
- Complete the basic criteria for admission to the Respiratory Therapy program including: overall GPA of 2.0 and proficiency testing in Algebra and English.
- Apply for Admission to Muskegon Community College and the Respiratory Therapy Program by completing the online application form.
- If interested, contact Karen Kain at Munson Medical Center for the opportunity to job shadow a Respiratory Therapist.
Northwestern Michigan College
- Laura A. Schmidt, DNP, FNP-BC
Director, Nursing and Allied Health
- Margaret Fox
Health Occupations Office Manager
Munson Medical Center
- Karen Kain, PhD, RRT
Pulmonary Education Specialist