Overbrook Gallery, located in the Frauenthal Fine Arts Center on the campus of Muskegon Community College, exhibits work by local, Michigan, and out-of-state artists and MCC art students in a variety of solo, group, and thematic shows throughout the year.
Exhibits are always free and open to the public. Visiting artist presentations are scheduled in connection with shows. Gallery hours are 9:00-4:00 weekdays with special weekend and evening hours during theater performances, receptions, concerts and gallery talks. Call 231-777-0324 for details.
51st Annual MCC Student Art and Design Exhibit Now on Display
The 51st Annual MCC Student Art and Design Exhibition, which opened on May 18, will be on display in Overbrook Art Gallery until September 16. Admission is free.
The exhibit celebrates the exceptional artwork created by MCC’s art and graphic design students over the past academic year. MCC art and design faculty reviewed several thousand pieces produced by more than 500 students and selected only a small portion of this total amount for the annual exhibit.
Overbrook Gallery summer hours are 9am-4:00pm Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Please call 777-0324 for more information.
Student Art and Design Award Winners
The award winners in the 51st Annual MCC Student Art and Design Exhibition were announced on June 9 at a special ceremony in Overbrook Theater.
An independent juror, Ken Foster, who is a retired Muskegon Community College art instructor, selected the winners from the exceptional artwork created by MCC’s art and graphic design students over the past academic year and now on exhibit in the Overbrook Art Gallery through Sept. 16. MCC art and design faculty reviewed several thousand pieces produced by more than 500 students and selected only a small portion of this total amount for the annual exhibit.
The 2015 student winners are:
- $400 First Place: Brett Kelley of Spring Lake for her graphite still-life drawing
- $300 Second Place: Shannon Puls of Whitehall for her acrylic painting
- $200 Third Place: Veronika Lamphere of Muskegon for her wire sculpture
- $75 Honorable Mentions:
– Alexander Conrad of Muskegon for his graphic design piece
– Sydney Dennis of Twin Lake for her still-life painting
– Arianna Neer of Muskegon for her collage
– John German of Twin Lake for his mixed media drawing
– Brandi Gabris of Muskegon for her ceramic sculpture.
- Thomas Payne of Muskegon won the President’s Purchase Award for his charcoal drawing. The purchase prize was selected by MCC art faculty and the president of the college for display on campus as part of MCC’s Permanent Art Collection.